school me in oil cooler's

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm cleaning up some stuff off my engine and i'm down to the oil cooler.are these things clean able?if so how do they come apart?or would i be better off just getting a new one?not for sure if a new comes with the rebuild kit or not.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
tubzz, Check you CD. The o rings are replaceable. Someone soaked his oil cooler in CLR but don't remember who.

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
tubzz, Check you CD. The o rings are replaceable. Someone soaked his oil cooler in CLR but don't remember who.

the laptop and CD are in the wifes truck and she went to the city tonight.
that was my first place to look but it's not here.

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
Tubzz,
I have the parts list because mine is leaking and I will be rebuilding it next week most likeky. If you would like it I can email it to you as it is in a Word doc.
Craig

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
standard w/ rebuilding the PSD is to replace the oil cooler because of possible contamination from the oil side of the cooler.

As Hheynow mentioned someone mentioned soaking thiers in CLR to clean it out however I'm not too certian about how well that works or if I would trust it especially on a complete rebuild.

Both IH and ford specifically itemize a NEW not rebuilt oil cooler on the 7.3 when ordering a crate motor and when a mfg chooses to replace entirely rather than rebuild leads me to believe that they have seen problems in the past with attempting to clean & reuse oil coolers.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
tubzz said:
would i be better off just getting a new one?
Like BJS said get a new one :sweet You have too much in that new motor to risk it.

$191 at powerstrokeshop.com

Last edited:

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does a new cooler come with the ends that bolt up to the engine?or do you have to reuse the old one's and just replace the tube?
i almost put the old one in the trash then thought about the ends being on it.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't a clue I'd call and ask but I'd guess they are included. which would help explain the price because the rear is also the mount for the oil filter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58