Screwy speedo after disonnecting battery

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Like the heading says my speedo is acting up after disconnecting the batteries. Needle stays at 40mph at 0mph and climes to 70mph. next trip only to 60mph last trip 50mph. I know the speedometer is calibrated some how using the trip meter but not exactly 100%. What do I do?

JRJ04

Reaction score
either you did not connect the batteries back up well and youve got a loose ground or you have a bad vehicle speed sensor. Either of them are a cheap fix.

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry I mistyped that earlier statement. 70mph at a standstill. Goes down to 40mph when accelerating. second trip 60mph at a standstill down to 40mph. third trip 50mph down to 40mph. I'm running on one borrowed battery untill tuesday when the interstate guy comes by work. Both "new optimas" I bought the truck with were junk. :(

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No abs light. I'll check the cruise control at lunch.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Change the Speed Sensor in the rear end. It is on top of the pumpkin with a few wires sticking out. These do go bad.

Dave

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Popped a new speed sensor in and it's the same:( Back to the drawing board. I'll have the new batteries tommorow. Haven't had a chance to drive any distance today, I'll try the cruise on the way home.

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No cruise either. Waiting on the interstate guy now for the batteries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14