SCT tuner & plans to try to increase fuel mileage

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning to call Tadd at Elite Diesel for an SCT X3 or Livewire tuner in a couple weeks.

Goal is to increase fuel economy when towing a little and definatly when empty. Currently getting 8-10 towing travel trailers and fifth wheels and 15 - 16 empty, this is hand calculated hwy miles. I'm a conservative driver and usually only run about 62- 63 mph with the cruise set.

Definatly going to get custom tunes (thinking tow, econo and high power) with EGR cancel and see if they can eliminate the fuel level sending unit from setting a code when I run with my aux tank on too.... and prolly gonna do a turbo back exhaust with no cat or at least eliminate the cat too.

Just looking for fuel economy, really don't need mo power and I am pleased with the power in stock form, I ain't trying to be the dyno King and break stuff on a regular basis.

Any suggestions, comments, experience with the SCT products etc appreciated.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
just good luck getting ahold of him.

i have tried on 3 occasions and the 2 idiots i spoke w/ could put up a good fight w/ a wet noodle - said they would give him the message.. that was a month ago and i am still waiting..:eek::dunno:(

that being said: search back thru here or in other threads for bama's set-up. he HAS pretty much exactly what i want and sounds pretty much like what you want...of course you can tweak it tho..:sweet

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Below are the tunes and "add-ons" if you will, that I had put with each tune.

Custom Tunes
SCT XCalibrator 1 (Custom Tuned by Tadd)
Tune #1 30hp/60trq
Tune #2 100hp/200trq
Tune #3 150hp/250trq
Options Added To Each Tune File
#1 EGR Delete
#2 Aggressive Tow/Haul
#3 Locked Torque Convertor On Decel.
#4 Locked Torque Convertor On Accel.
#5 Smoother & Quicker Tranny Shifts
#6 Engages Engine Fan 10º Sooner

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I can't get him on the phone, I'll get a load into Colorado and stop in and bug him in person.;)

Bama, How are you using the truck and how do you like the custom trannie tunes when towing. Are you using this truck to pull a wedge or is this a drive around town looking cool and hunting ricers truck.

Looks like you had them make the Automatic into as close to a manual trannie as possible.

Reason I ask is over 50% of my miles is towing 5 - 8k travel trailers and fifth wheels and I'm running 10 - 12k miles per month.

Thanks, Mike

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I didn't get to tow much with the SCT, I sold my trailer shortly after getting it.

The tranny shifts really quick but smooth.

Since I don't tow with it anymore, its just a glorified shop truck.

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tadd's SCT

Planning to call Tadd at Elite Diesel for an SCT X3 or Livewire tuner in a couple weeks.

Goal is to increase fuel economy when towing a little and definatly when empty. Currently getting 8-10 towing travel trailers and fifth wheels and 15 - 16 empty, this is hand calculated hwy miles. I'm a conservative driver and usually only run about 62- 63 mph with the cruise set.

Definatly going to get custom tunes (thinking tow, econo and high power) with EGR cancel and see if they can eliminate the fuel level sending unit from setting a code when I run with my aux tank on too.... and prolly gonna do a turbo back exhaust with no cat or at least eliminate the cat too.

Just looking for fuel economy, really don't need mo power and I am pleased with the power in stock form, I ain't trying to be the dyno King and break stuff on a regular basis.

Any suggestions, comments, experience with the SCT products etc appreciated.

didn't improve my fuel economy, period. My SCT is set up almost exactly like Bamas'. I like the improved drivability, ie: shifts are firm, not harsh (gotta help clutchpack life right?) Good holding on downgrades...trans doesn't shop for a gear under load. This is primarily a work truck...1200 kliks, 6 days a week...now down to a 1500-2000 lb load...across the Northern Plains. I have 2 drivers plus myself that rotate on this run...the youngest driver is 55..all former long-haulers...meaning I trust them with my vehicles. Aside from the fuel economy issue...I believe I'd purchase another SCT in a minute...I do place high emphasis on service though so that's has to be a high priority on where I spend my $.

Be well!

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd submit it's not any different than SCT... if they're reprogramming the FICM, what's the difference? Unless they're completely redoing the software in there, and that's not a small task, I can't see how it can be any different or more reliable.

Let's see what one can do on a dyno, or from some guinea pig...

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
WOW!! worth checking into....i may do some inquiries..

kleetus: by reading what they have said they are doing, MY interpretation is that you maybe getting an 03 ficm w/ original programming... so yes they maybe completely redoing the software....

this would certainly be a good explanation as to why I and others lost mpg w/ every re-occuring flash..lord knows i've had them all.

off topic and slight rant: still does not explain why when they have hooked up their puter and taken my truck for a drive 'their' puter say truck gets 19 mpg against wind and 22 w/ wind....that is written right on my service sheets from the dealer...oh, and no one can explain it to me other than they say the computer does not lie.....I SAY BS. my mileage sheets beg to differ...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14