SCT Xcalibrator2

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, those who know. What's the deal on this? How do you come to the decision of what "tunes" to use??? I am really interested in this. (Gotta have something to go with the 5"stacks in May :sweet ) Any help is appreciated.

Barrett

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IN GENERAL.....
MOST people I've talked to worry about all the different tunes (like I did) and after it's all said and done typically use two tunes, stock and FULL everything :)
(and stock is only when you have to bring it back to the dealer :))

in a few cases some have heavy things to tow so they may have a mid range tow tune to keep the egt's down, but 99% of the other times they use the HIGH mode... When driven "normally" these seem to be the most efficient tunes and give the best mix of performance and MPG...

given that... as far as FEEL of the power, I like the feature where they lock the torque convertor in the higher gears so that when u have to hit the go pedal there's none of that unlock, decide to downshift, then shift, then go.... it's just GOOOOOO !!! reminds me more of the push I used to get it my chipped 02 7.3, 'cept more so !

even the base tunes from SCT @ www.sctflash.com will give you a BIG grin ! Over and above that, any of the main guys with any experience on tuning YOUR truck type (year and PCM code) will make that tune look like stock :)

good luck and don't wait too long - you'll kick yourself for waiting and DREAD going back to stock after tuning...

OH, and you REALLY can get betta mpg with them, not enough to justify the purchase, but it's a side benefit !

BIGBLUECREW

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
architect-builder said:
Ok, those who know. What's the deal on this? How do you come to the decision of what "tunes" to use??? I am really interested in this. (Gotta have something to go with the 5"stacks in May :sweet ) Any help is appreciated.

Barrett

I was also wondering about this also. I will probably be doing some upgrades to my 99F350 in a couple of months and it seems that there is just so much out there that I can't decide on what to do.

I was just on TS performance web site and I kind of like the 6 position chip that they have. However, I am not sure if it would be better for this type of setup or a programmer. Any suggestions??:confused: I also have a trip planned out west (South Florida to Utah) where stopping may be an issue also. What type of exhaust brake is best for my type situation.:confused:

Frank

PS. I only tow maybe 2 times a year and it is only about 8-9k lbs usually around 3 miles per trip. Most of the other time is stip and go traffic to and from work.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Ford 6.0L 03-06 Diesels:
-Gains of 50-150rwhp.
-Economy Programs for better mileage.
-Tow Programs available with Diesel Braking and continuous convertor lockup.

any body any input on teh line in red

mech2161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check my earlier post, ask for Larry. Thats his EX doing the burnout on the home page link with the SCT.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PB, not sure you want CONTINUOS TC lockup, but they can do it in whatever gear and rpm/speed ya want...

probably the BEST feature of the custom programming is that it doesn't have to unlock, downshift, go, then relock...

it can just GO-GO-GO !!!!!!!!

Really like the push you get when it just allows the torque to work isntead of making the tranny work :)

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
PB, not sure you want CONTINUOS TC lockup, but they can do it in whatever gear and rpm/speed ya want...

probably the BEST feature of the custom programming is that it doesn't have to unlock, downshift, go, then relock...
it can just GO-GO-GO !!!!!!!!

Really like the push you get when it just allows the torque to work isntead of making the tranny work :)

thats exactly what I am looking for. to rid the unlock down shift relock crap everytime you let off the throttle, drives me friggn crazy

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
thats exactly what I am looking for. to rid the unlock down shift relock crap everytime you let off the throttle, drives me friggn crazy

Oooooooh, looks like Robert's getting ready to take the programmer plunge! -popcorn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl