Serious Turbo Lag...

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our '05 X it seems that it is experiencing some serious turbo lag. It never used to be this bad, so I am thinking that the CAT is starting to clog.

Anyone else have any input???:dunno

Might be time to kill the kitty!:sweet

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The Cat has not caused this in the past, but the intercooler hoses being loose can as can the EGR or EPB sensor. Take it in to Ford and have them look at it. It will be covered by warranty. If you remove the Cat, keep it around.

Dave

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a sticking turbo. When mine stuck, I noticed a lot more lag, more smoke, higher EGTs, and it would over boost to 47psi at 2500 rpm. I took it off and cleaned it and it now works like it should. I got the directions at http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-05.php If your truck is still under warranty then they should cover it. If you don't want to have your truck gone for a week or better and pay the $100 deductible, then do it yourself for like $20. It took me almost a days time including going to get cleaning stuff.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
my bet is EGR is sticking or is stuck just a bit .
on start up you can tell right away if teh vgt vanes are stuck
stand at the tailpipe have someone start it up.
at first catch it should sound like a big block no pipes, deep raspy

then it will soften back to a purr as the vgt vanes are moved by oil pressure to the idle position

if the cat was choked up... you would have higher egts and less power per normal psi of boost

egr is a quick two bolts 5/16 (8 mm) and pop her out and see just how nasty it is. mine has been fluttering and yep each time it does it i can smoke the folks out. followed by low boost and a check engine light

followed the dts sites instructions on cleaning it and so far so good

egr cleaning

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14