Serpentine belt suggestions

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My belt started squeaking a few days ago and im going to start with the replacing the belt. Im just wondering if you guys have any suggestions on a brand or if i should go OEM? Ive heard gates from oriellys is good. I noticed they have an HD version for $20 more. Whats the major difference there?

P.S. I aware that i probably need to replace my tensioner as well since i have 245k on the stock one.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I'm a Gates fan.

The HD belt has few more plys in it's build spec. just a notch better overall, IMO

@245K, might be a good idea to R&R the tensioner.. One of those: Do it now cuz yer doing a new belt anywayz.. or do it later.. when you just did the DANG belt.. a short time ago. (could be part of/cause of.. the squeak too?)

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
awesome. thanks guys. after doing some research, I am thinking about replacing:

belt-Gates HD
tensioner-OEM
top idler pulley-OEM
thermostat-OEM
thermostat housing-OEM

anything else while I'm at it? should I replace the thermostat housing?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like yer guna do the "Whole 9 Yards" sooo... There's a upper Rad hose that goes AROUND the Serp belt, instead of through it ?

Not a bad alernative hose cuz.. IF you ever throw a belt.. better chances are... it won't take out the hose ???

Look to the right of yer water-pump.. yul see where it would route, via an OEM casted cradle/bracket/clamp assembly ??

:dunno

Joe

Makes fer changing out any future belts (or hoses).. easy money too ?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then. Do you happen to know where I would i find this hose?

Don't have a part # but a good Parts House would know.. it's for the Dual Alternator option from Ford.

OBTW.. Think about a 203* thermostat ? The 7.3's run Much Better.. a little hotter (?)

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
yep, joe is right...i felt like the only place I could find it when i had my 7.3 was at NAPA. You'll know when you've got the right one because its quite as tall (?) and certainly bends more. you'll also see next to the alternator where the hose sits in. I'd reccommend getting a zip tie and securing the hose to this to keep it clear of the belt.

If you're replacing the thermostat housing, I'd reccommend going with the billet housing from dieselsite. Much sturdier and seems to seal a little better?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58