serpentine belt

sbw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Folks, I am new to the forum and I am in need of some guidance.

My truck is an 04 F250 4x4 with the 6.0L Powerstroke.

My serpentine belt is squealing and is quite annoying. I purhcased a new belt with the intentions of installing it over the weekend, but once I started tearing into the project I am stumped.

My truck has the single alternator set up for reference.

I can not figure out how to get the radiator and shroud out to get the belt replaced.

I removed the small shroud on top of the radiator shroud as well as the Power Stroke emblem cover. I also removed the two bolts in the top of the shroud, but I cannot figure out how it comes out. Initially, I thought the shroud was a two piece design, but after further inspection it is not. I looks like the finned portion of the shroud around the fan bolts to front of the engine block.

I cant get to the tensioner pulley with the shroud on to release the tension on the belt, so I wondered if I can take the alternator loose and get the belt off, then work it out between the round hole in the finned shroud and the fan hub and then over the fan and out through the hole in the shroud below the Power Stroke cover.

Does anyone have any experience at this that could give me a step by step process to replace the belt? I am not paying the dealer $225 to replace the belt. I am mechanically inclined and will eventually figure it out, but any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,
SBW

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
im not super 6.0 savvy, but last time i looked at one of those, the shroud was one piece but was designed to be cut, and had a cut line, and two pilot holes for some tek screws to screw it back together afterwards. if i remember correctly the cut lines/pilot holes were at about 10+2 oclock, maybe 9+3?

im an OBS guy though, so im sure a 6.0 guru will be in shortly to tell you the magic.

sbw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I noticed that when I was looking the shroud over. Even after I get that off, I still not sure about loosening or removing the alternator etc. I can see however how that would allow you more access to everything.

So would the dealerhsip split the shroud to get at the belt?

Maybe a 6.0 guru will chime in here soon.

Thanks for the tip!

SBW

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The only adjustment is the belt tensioner. The alternator is fixed as is everything else. Only the tensioner moves.

Dave

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the schroud HAVE to come off ???
cant you just loosen the tension and then slip the
belt over the fan ???

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
does the schroud HAVE to come off ???
cant you just loosen the tension and then slip the
belt over the fan ???

yep the shroud has to be cut at the the cut lines so the belt can snake over the fan and out it comes, real nice feature to prevent unwanted theft of said serpentine belts :sly

i have heard of someone removing it without splitting the shrund but never seen it done.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know 'bout anyone else, but im watching this thread...havent
had to do my belt <YET> need to inspect it again.

someone should do a WIKI on this...pictures help me ALOT.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
The shroud is meant to be cut at the top on both sides. After replacing the belt, put the top back on and put zap screws in the holes that are already molded into the shroud. You can make it look pretty with a little black silicone. You will see the area to cut, its already perforated or creased in two areas. You can also get a small ratchet strap and pull the tensioner down from the bottom using the hooks. I can't really explain this well w/out pictures, but if your mechanically inclined you'll know what I'm getting at. Need a small ratchet strap like you would use for tieing down a quad to a trailer. PITA but do-able.

sjseng

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I finally changed my drive belt / serpentine belt today. I read this post first and it seemed like it would be an easy job. I have a 2004 F250 6.0 diesel with one alternator. My shroud was already cracked from when the dealer replaced the turbo. The cutting of the shroud was easy, but it broke into several pieces from the previous cracks when removing from around the radiator hose.

Here is the problem: After removing the shroud I realized it did no good because of the full cage around the fan and the back side of the fan. I then proceded to remove the belt. I used a 1/2" ratchet in the belt tensioner and a cheater bar for leverage with one hand and romeved the belt with the second hand. I paid close attention to the way the belt was routed (was actually slightly different than the label in the engine compartment), and though it was a tight fit, the belt came right out without removing the rear fan cage. So it turns out that you do NOT need to remove the fan shroud. The belt never had to be snaked over the fan, just feed between each pully and the back side of the rear fan cage/shroud.

I then ensured the new belt was the same size as the old, and inserted the new belt with no problems. I had to use rivits and metal straps to fix the shroud before replacing and everything went back together like a charm!

Even though removing the shroud made visibility better, it was not necessary to remove for belt replacement and just added time to the project. I had also removed both batteries for easier access (and for safety) and with the repairs and a few brakes to tend to the kids, it took me just under 3 hrs. But hey I still saved over $200.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14