SES Light

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
How many starts does it take to make the SES light reset? I think (hope) I set it with an overboost but it still has not gone off after about 6 start cycles.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over Boost

If it is an over boost condition like mine has Since putting in a bighead and getting over the 25psi at WOT, And triggering the SES light,

When I over boost my SES lights up and stays on for about a full minute then clears,

Just Adding:
When you over Boost the PCM starts the SES light to notify you of a problem then at the same time it goes into a defueling state, were the protection settings from the factory (Cips and tuners dont remove the protections) start to kick in and cause the defueling state to lower the boost pressure by defueling,
Once the defueling state is done then the engine resets the fuel back to normal clearing the SES light but leaving a code on the PCM,

Sorry cant remember the Code, But I guess since your light is staying on you might have to look other places,, Have you ran codes to determine what it is for sure, With these engines in my opinion any time you have a SES light the codes should be ran as the first step in determining the problem..

Hope this helps

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am down at my daad's house and do not have a method for checking codes. It does this almost everytime I come down here. Usually I get on it up to 90 to pass and then let off and it sets the light.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wondering does the light come on at 90 mph or just when you hit it to WOT, and how dose the engine run with the light on,
Im not sure about the tuner you have,(never used one) but for a test you might want to turn it off if you can and test it, to see if you have the same problem,

When you hit hard on it you do stress the engine components, you might have something that might be going out on you..kind of a advance warning,

(Just my 2 cents here) You might want to stay away from the hitting WOT Untill you get it scanned, maybe baby it a little, I would hate to hear you broke down on the road..

I believe if you can ,maybe call around the area you might find an autostore that does codes for free, im not sure were your at, but around here in Michigan we have chain stores called Autozone and they do free tests..also if you know someone with a Superships programmer you can also use those..
Or at least maybe see is you can find some place in route back home to run codes at,..

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Okay, we read the code and it is P1211, he said that could be just about anything. Anyone have any ideas? Also, I plan to buy a diagnostic tool, I am looking at both the AutoTap and the AutoEnginuity, any other suggestions? I would like to get the most information possible.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Just did a search on that code and it says ICP above or below, suspect injector o-rings. That makes me nervous since I have been losing oil and some have suggested injectors. Perhaps an upgrade is in my future.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
If you are setting the ICP code with only the 80hp DP Tuner, you prolly have a weak HPOP. I didn't thinkg the 80 hp tune would set it normally. You'll need to put a scanner on it and see what it's doing at WOT. In order to set that code it's 280psi lower than desired for longer than 7 seconds or 410psi higher than desired for longer than 7 seconds. Your programming dictates what's desired. If it's running out of HPO the IPR duty cycle will be 60% or above.

Another thing that could set the light is a sticking or failed injector pressure regulator. I'm guessing that's how it would be higher than desired.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I have to drive back up to my house today but when I get there I am ordering a scanner. That SCT looks very interesting, especially since it hold 3 tunes. Looks like it would do everything else I would like as well I just need to make sure it can be a scanner on other vehicles as well.

I am concerned about the HPOP, I find it hard to believe the injector would leak enough oil to bring the pressure down but only go through 1 quart every ~1,200 miles. The oil loss is what is pointing me to the injectors though. There was a TSB on dieselmann's site that mentioned it.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I believe the SCT is a code reader not a scan tool. It wouldn't tell you HPOP readings, IPR duty cycle and such that are needed for trouble shooting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14