Several "problems?"

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 Well, noticed a tick coming from the backside of the pass. valve cover, has been there several thousand miles, always thought it was injector noise, but it seemed to be more distinct today.
#2 I had a sort of a hesitation/surging and about 15-20 mph at part steady throttle that I attributed to needing to replace the fuel filter, but I think I felt it again today after I replaced the fuel filter.
#3 Someone told me the exhaust sounded ragged/tired. I thought it's the way a full 4" straight pipe would sound exiting in front of the rear tire, but he said it sounds different. It is only noticeable at idle and part-throttle...I noticed that it sounds like it has some sort of a rasping almost clicking sound but I thought it was just resonance from it being low airspeed in that big ***** pipe. It sounds fine a full throttle, but I heard someone mention it could be a collapsed lifter (which would explain the ticking sound in the exhaust and valve cover).
#4 At 206k miles, is there any mechanical maintainence needed such as valvetrain tightening or adjustment? I've had the truck since 178k and have had zero problems with the engine.

If it helps to diagnose, this truck only went 16.4 in the 1/4 with the mods in the sig (sound right?)
Thanks in advance,
Jesse

Race22

Jim
Reaction score
I only turn a 17.54 with my mods. It does sound like maybe you have a valve train problem. Are you sure that what you are hearing at the exhaust pipe is just the normal sound of a straight pipe. Mine has that helicopter sound to it when going down the road with no load.

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a thought, could these problems have something to do with the ULSD being used. i have noticed the engine to be a little louder

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of a guy that had a similar symptom on his,, The fuel sustem was sucking air.. A line from the tank had rubbed on something to the point where it cracked....

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, might have to trace the fuel system down then. Think that's the ticking noise and not a valvetrain noise? Have there been any longevity problems out of the 7.3 valvetrain?
Jesse

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been around that long , but I have never heard of anyone with a valve train problem.....

I have heard of junk in the tank causing these symptoms, along with a cracked pickup tube in the tank....

Just a WAG....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14