Several Questions... lookin for advice / help

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey guys.... i picked up a 05 f250 CC 6.0l 6spd 4x4 ...and i love it

first off > it came with the pirelli scorpions and ive had a little too much fun with 25+ lbs of boost. its time for some new tires... im lookin for a very mild street / off road tire... i know i need E rated tires... im at stock ride height... what is the largest size that i can fit safely? ive had my eye on the Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17 can i fit 315/70/17??

secondly > since i bought it in January ive always kept an eye for any soot or any kind of smoke out of the tail pipe.... well only the other day, ive noticed that i was actually blowin soot higher in the powerband... since i havent seen any soot for 5 months, is there any reason as to why its doing it now? im guessing that 96* weather isnt helping... due to less dense air and what not.

third > im lookin to do a WVO conversion..... what secondary fuel tank are others using? and what tank selector switch? im tryin to read up on this stuff because i have a nice supply of WVO...

also... is there any recommendation on avoiding WVO in the 6.0???

thanks in advance..... ive been lurkin on this site for a while and it time to start posting!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Tony, I am not the one to recommend tires for your truck. I can tell you that Ford does not recommend anything over 5% biodiesel, or they WILL void your warranty. Many of us have been running bio in excess of 5%. I have been running B99 which is 99% bio and 1% petro diesel. It runs great and a lot smoother than petro diesel. There is no conversion for the 6.0 engine or fuel system other than to carry a spare primary fuel filter (the one on the driver's side frame) and a wrench so you can change your old and plugged up filter on some lone highway some cold night. Bio will scour clean your entire fuel system and deposit the crud on the filter, causing it to clog up. This only happens when you start to use bio and not anything to worry about after the first couple of tanks of bio. Good Luck with it Tony. :)

Dave

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure that motor & filtering system can tollerate wvo...and
unless i had the money to rebuild it id stick to light bio at the most.

hard to say 'bout the smoke...how many miles on it ? id be watching
the oil & coolant consumption and perform a few oil tests @ your next
oil changes to see if theres anything IN the oil <other than oil>.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
as far as the NITTO's go, i like mine. i just put on a set of NITTO Terra Grappler (LT275/70R/18 E Range) about 2 months ago. they are very quiet and ride smooth. when i turn real sharp, my tires like about 2.5" hitting the front air valance, and i have 1.5" add-a-leaf kit on mine.

the 285's should be fine tho. i have seen plenty of trucks run that size tire with no problems.

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
....hey guys thanks... ive seen all of you who posted all over the forums and seem very knowledgable... ill take all of this info to heart.

as far as the smoke... ive got 27*** miles and not due for oil change until 30k.... ill definately watch oil/ water consumption and get an analysis on that change.

ill keep you guys updated.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tony4380, fill out your profile, let us know where you are &
the details of what you drive.

dont be too paranoid about the truck...it happens to ALL us
new owners...some forums will make you think youve bought
the biggest pos made <and it simply isnt true> ive got 55k on mine
and not a single problem.

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
air filter should be pretty clean... i need to go ahead and change it cause theyre on sale at advance auto parts for the rest of the month for 55$... not to mention ... the cashier gets $1 for ever air filter sale..... so i needd to figure out how to ring myself out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14