shallow subs

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im curious about the shallow mount subs ive seen, they look like pancakes. wanted to know if anyone has tried them or heard them play. i like the mounting options due to size,just want to know if they slam like a conventional sub

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was on the pioneer website the other day. if i was going to go with a shaloow sub those would be the ones. the only problem i have with the jlaudio shallow sub is the 3 ohm load. i know amps like 1,2,4 ohm loads, not sure sure about 3. and i dont want to have to buy a 500/1 if i dont have to.

altaford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just put in a Exile 10", in an off the shelf Subzero box, and it sounds awesome. Just as good as the normal depth MTX 10 I had before, if not better.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive done some research comparing the 12inch Pioneer & 12inch JL thin mounts...

the Pioneer shallow mounts require .75 more inches of mounting depth (compared to the JL's)
the JL's are a bit bigger in their overall speaker area...and they require a larger mounting hole.

the pioneer speakers are slightly more efficient/louder <power:db aka - 1w @ 1m> and
the pioneers handle more power

they both require the same enclosure volume (.8 cubic ft)

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my kicker solobaric 10" (L5) dual voice coil is wired for 2ohms and i WAS driving
it w/ a bridged 400w fosgate punch amp.

the fosgate would get so hot it would "thermal shutdown".... i used my
laser thermometer to check the temp one time after it shutdown...i got
readings fo 155* (f) !! i was pretty certain it was melting the carpet !

Ive since dumped that old fosgate and installed a JL 500/1 (driving the
same 2ohm solobaric)...i drive the speaker harder now than i did
w/ the pos fosgate...and the JL 500/1 barely shows signs of getting
anything more than warm.

buy the JL Amp...250/1, 500/1, 1000/1 you pick it..but i promise you
you will NOT end up dis-satisfied ! (i had a JL 4300e and was unimpressed
even using it as a "fill" amp).

the JL (slash) amps are stable down to a 1ohm LOAD...their output
is NOT compromised no matter what the load (1 - 4 ohms) !

Why do you think ive got THREE JL slash amps....

heres SOME of the iterations ive gone thru...OLD amps and the CURRENT set up -->

JLAudio-Amps-3.jpg

Last edited:

Coastal6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about the 3 ohm load as most amps will handle the load w/ no problem. Damn near every 2 ch amp that can be bridged will be aok w/ that. If the amp can be bridged to at least 4 ohm mono it will do 2 ohm stereo all day long and not give you lick of trouble. 4 ohm stereo=8 ohm bridged, 2 ohm stereo=4 ohm bridged, 1 ohm stereo=2 ohm bridged. The last rating is very hard to find on todays 2 ch amps. Most of todays manufacturers try to push mono/ classD amps for subs, great for power, horrible on sound quality. To be able to do 1 ohm stereo you need a good onboard pwr supply. Most amps today are assembly line cheap. Some of the last i've seen were the old Sony Mobile ES amps. Bought mine over ten yrs ago and still kickin. They are faithful though, 4 vehicles, 1 ex wife, and soon to be in their 2nd F250, still by my side!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58