She did not wanna start this AM

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Well I go out about 05:30 to leave for work and she just cranking over, but no fire. Wife hears the noise and comes out to check if she needs to take me to work.:eek: I then turn the key and hold it cranking over, it starts picking up speed and then finally begins to fire and FINALLY starts in a billowing cloud of white smoke effectively eliminating all insects for miles.:D So I was guessing my GPR too a dump. Put the old multi meter on it today at work and it seems to be working fine now. Anyone have a GPR flake out then come back??:dunno Any ideas? She got 75,000 mile now. What's up?

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
How cold was it? Mine starts right away at 50 or so. I would guess in Texas it was not much colder than that?? Also, if the GPR came back it should not have smoked much. Did it run normal or knock a bit? I suspect your fuel pump may be going bad and took awhile to build pressure or you may have leaky o-rings on your drain valve and the fuel bowl was low. The reason I say this is many have complained about white smoke after changing the fuel filter and they don't wait for the pump to refill the bowl..

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
It was around 50* this AM. Fuel pump builds pressure fine per my guage. Batteries are less than or around a year old. It really acted like the Glow Plugs were not functioning. It started fine later and the GPR was fine on the meter. Just wonder if it could flake out and come back?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
A failure in the glow plug system will set a diagnostic trouble code (DTC)

From the book;

Connect all glow plug connectors.
Connect glow plug control connector on side of relay.
Disconnect EOT.
Connect voltmeter between relay terminal with two brown wires and chassis ground.
Measure voltage with key off and key on while wiggling wires connected to relay (relay will remain closed for two minutes with key on).
Does voltage change from 0 to battery voltage and stay at battery voltage for approximately 2 minutes?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Fire1 said:
Fuel pump builds pressure fine per my guage.

:cool: :sweet :rolleyes:

Are you sure this doesn't fall under the normal operating catergory :roflmao :roflmao

Probably those leaky insterstates dude.

Last edited:

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
I am sure it is probably the GPR.

Pick ya one up at Autozone there in Wylie, They run about $20.

Should be good after that.

Believe it or not, I am running on the STOCK Glowplugs but have went thru like 4 GPR's LOL

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
My vote is the GPR too! Check out my "Starting issues" thread from awhile back. I did batts because I had a dead driver's side, but it turned out to be the GPR. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14