Shes doing it again

Winger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well wanted to go the gym this morning. Went to crank it over and hard started. Lots of black smoke. I think another glow plug. I changed all the plugs 2 weeks ago. She ran fine 10 mile trip to the gym. Was in the gym for an hour came out. Fired it up again even worst this time hard start and more black smoke tons of black smoke, Heck I think people were posing to call the fire dept. No problem running. I will check the plugs at work later tonite. Any thoughts. I run standyene every couple tanks. :confused: :confused:

93 Ford F-250 4x4
The Black Beast
225,000 and still rolling

smokin_stroker00

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just a thought here.If it was a glow plug it wouldn't be smoking black would it? Glow plug would cause a cylinder not to fire right off the bat which would cause a greyish color smoke not black.just my $.02 -popcorn

wideopen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
Just a thought here.If it was a glow plug it wouldn't be smoking black would it? Glow plug would cause a cylinder not to fire right off the bat which would cause a greyish color smoke not black.just my $.02 -popcorn

Same thing I was thinking?? I know when my GPR(Glow Plug Relay)went out it was a white/grey smoke?? I don't think it's an injector either should get the same thing white/grey smoke??

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Gray/white smoke = unburnt fuel on cold start up

Blue smoke = oil

Black smoke = bad fuel/air ratio (usually on a warm engine)

towcat

mouse hunter
Reaction score
not enough background for judgement. But I would look at the A/F and the inj. pump. Possibly, the advance plunger is "stuck" (not uncommon).
BTW drop on by the "Oilburners" site. There's quite a few active IDI guys/gals hanging out there. You just might get more responses! :D

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya i think that would be ur best bet for now is to go to the oilburners.net Also how much black smoke. i know mine gives a little puff of start up same as all the other N/A i seen.

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
What kind of smoke while driving or accelerating? Lots of black during normal driving is not enough air (plugged air filter) or maybe an IP problem.

Winger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well thanks very much for the information. Finally got a day off to look for the cause of the problem. Once again I have 2 bad glow plugs. And The filter needed a cleaning (actually it got tossed). The K&N filter I had was about 6 years old with regular cleanings. About every 3-4 months. However I went and bought a new one today. She runs fine. :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58