shifter knob

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to get a new shifter knob .. but not sure how to remove it.. or what style i need to attach new one.. i have 6spd btw

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pull it straight off the lever. It will take a bit of force, but it will pull off there. Be carefull not to bust yourself in the face when it comes off though.

The top of the lever is just splines. You could use a die to thread it to the size the new knob requires...usually there are several adapters with the new knob.

I took mine off the other day, I was wanting to put my old Hurst T handle on it. The only bad thing with the T handle is that it really didn't work in any gears other than against the dash, and even reverse was too close to my leg...so I just stuck the stock one back on.

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank man, i might go with bm t handle.. i just like the looks of the chrome shifter handle.. kinda cool, guess ill try and see how bad it is

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is this the same for the 4x4 shifter? I am leaving my 5 speed knob, but wanted to change my 4x4 shifter to a skull.

Also, the one I was looking at simply comes with a rubber gromet inside of it, will this work at all or is it simply going to feel sloppy?

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I wanted to report on the "just pull real hard" method of getting the shifter knob off.

DONT DO IT! I got the 4x4 shifter knob off like this but when I went to pull off the 5 speed shifter knob, I pulled and pulled and got nothing, so I reeeally pulled and the knob remained but the entire stick pulled right off the nub down at the rubber boot. I was left with the knob and shift lever in my hand and looking down at the rubber shaft that my shifter used to be attached to. Now the stick wont hold to it tightly. I can slide it back over the rubber shaft but its not tight. The stick pulls off with the slightest pull.

Excellent advice fellas. Out-flippin-standing! "just pull it!"

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't drive it until you either get it fixed or you fix it. Remove the rubber boot and look at the Ball part of the socket that the stick goes into. Is the metal ball shaped retainer there? Is it ok or is it broken. The one I am thinking of has two fingers in the sides that catch onto two pins and this holds on the stick. Did you try to untwist the shifter knob??

Dave

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, I twisted the 4x4 knob and it came off with a little effort. Then I really twisted the shifter knob and the rubber grip loosened and will spin (its still very snug, but I can spin it) but the cap piece that shows the shifting pattern stays put and does not move???

The stick holds to the rubber shaft at the floor sufficient enough for driving (it doesnt just fall off) but it does come off when you pull up on it. Nothing is broken, it appears as though the stick is meant to pressure fit over the rubber shaft at the floor and I simply pulled the thing free but Im pretty sure I can apply a little sealent to the rubber shaft and get the stick to go back to sticking tightly.

I still want to get the shift knob off though. I looked down the stick last night but it was dark and I couldnt see anything in there, Ill take another look at it today in the light.

Last edited:

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly how the knob came off on my 2005...I pulled it straight off the stick. That is it...it is not screwed on, just some tight splines. My 87 Ranger was the exact same way, as was the 89 F250 my dad used to have.

I replaced the stock knob with a cue ball that I drilled to fit.

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That's how mine also came off. One day it just came off in my hand while I was shifting from third to fourth gear. I glued it back on the shifter and about 2-3 months later I started hearing this funny little rattle while driving. It drove me crazy for a couple of weeks trying to figure out where it was coming from. Then I noticed that the middle of the knob was changing positions from time to time just a little to the left one day or to the right another day, to be honest I thought it was my imagination. Finally I noticed that the middle part was where that rattling was coming from and then the knob came off again.Well in trying to fix the center part from moving about the inside fell apart it's not as solid as you would think. I ended up gluing the center circle to the main body of the knob.It still comes off every now and then.One of this days I'm going to buy a new knob. It's sort of ironic that the knob comes off easily when you're not trying to remove it and when you want the damn thing off it sticks like a tick!

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I finally got it off but cutting it off.

I admit that, after getting the knob off, I found that the "just pull it method" wouldve worked if some jabrone hadnt permanently attached the knob to the stick with epoxy...

Thanks for all the input guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58