Shifting without the clutch???

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
I've got almost 100k on my luk and would never go back saves the knees because of the higher clamp force of the luk you will get more lurch from it till it has a chance the wear in plus the learning curve because of the lighter pedal the only problem I've had was when it got wet from fuel leaking from the water drain on the fuel bowl but it dried out quickly.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when it comes to shifting without the clutch, remember this. It costs less than to replace a clutch than it does to rebuild a tranny. Every 6 speed I have ever seen, including mine, makes a grinding noise when you lug it down below 800 rpm's. I have 112,000 miles on mine, original clutch, and the only problem I have ever had was a bad slave cylinder. Fortunatly Ford made them so it can be changed without remopving the tranny.

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Some of these had a problem with the fork that works the throw out berring cracking from fatigue. This would cause your clutch to not engague properly and may cause the shakeon take off. Happened to a buddy but not 100% sure of the symptoms.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Don't float shift synchroed transmissions. It is bad.

Syncros are just cone-shaped pieces of friction material, a male cone on the shuttle gear and a female cone on the ratioed (fixed) gear, which engage first, prior to the dog tooth gears touching, in an effort to try to bring the "free-spinning" gear (the one disengaged by the clutch) to the same speed as the one spinning at the speed the truck is moving downt he road to prevent clash.

Float shifting means the syncros get mashed together with BOTH gears attached to something (one to the engine, one to the road) and the syncros just rub with those opposing forces guaranteeing that they accomplish nothing. It will wear your syncros out in no time flat.

Also, floating a synchroed tranny is hard because you cannot feel the gears out, meaning it either goes in or it don't, with no indication tot he operator whether the speeds have matched or not. It causes shifts to be jerky as hell, and not necessarily the best thing for other parts of your truck.

overworkedunderpaid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I have done it, it was typically a smooth shift. Luckily I haven't done it much. (on this truck)

I'd like to hear more about the clutch fork issue though....:doh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14