Shimming the FPR 99-03 7.3

99SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok does any one make a new spring for it??? i know alot of people do it but i would like a new spring instead of the washers in there.

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gilette Diesel makesa new spring. They claim it will raise the fuel pressure to about 90 psi, which is were they claim that the PSD will run its best. I havent put a gauge on mine yet to verify their claim. I think the spring and shipping was around 20 or 30 bucks.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gilette Diesel makesa new spring. They claim it will raise the fuel pressure to about 90 psi, which is were they claim that the PSD will run its best. I havent put a gauge on mine yet to verify their claim. I think the spring and shipping was around 20 or 30 bucks.

Hmmm, I think for that much I'd rather put the 4 cent washers in there and do the same thing.:dunno

CHPMustang

Reaction score
At 90PSI I'm sure the one doing that with stock injectors might need a new set of injector O-rings soon after as I found out.:doh:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it's around 65 to 70 psi.

What Kent sez.. fer shur. And CHP's O ring replacement issues is right on too.

As close to 70'ish as you can get it. 70 at idle, 65-70 @ speed and under load is where these 7.3s like to be. IH techs supported.

The 90 psi for fuel pressure is one of those... It'll REALLY RUN GOOD.... For AWHILE !!

Then ? git out the Drip Pans & Kitty Litter, 'til you get some O rings:roflmao

Jus my .03

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
what should the fuel pressure be at wot???

65 to 70 psi

in other words, the fuel pressure should not significantly drop off at wot. If it does, that is a sign that the fuel pump is going bad/ gone or something else is wrong.

My FPR is shimmed to about 66 psi. At wot, it still stays above 60 psi.

I don't have really anything special, stock pump, Wix filter/h2o separator pre-pump, hutch mod and ITP shimable pressure reg outlet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58