shimming the FPR and injectors

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello to all in superduty land. i am doug and a new user to this site as well as a fairly new diesel user. you all have such great ideas and information. i have learned plenty in just the short time i have used this site. i am from snohomish, wa and am a truf grass salesman. i drive a '99 f250 PSD. the questions i have are 2. 1). i read and article in the "technical article WIKI" on how to shimm the FPR. what are the benefits/side affects to doing this and will it use more fuel in raisingf the fuel pressure? 2). i have 120,000 mile on my truck. should i run an injector cleaning solution through the diesel to clean the injectors? not sure if the previous owner did such things for maintenance. thanks for your input. i am looking forward to hearing from you.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Doug,

Welcome to the forums.

on to your questions;

1) You shouldnt experience a higher fuel consumption from shimming the regulator. Benefits are you might feel a *seat of the pants* increase in throttle response and accelleration. Side affect is it will sometimes wipe out your fuel pump if you shim the pressure too high, or if the pump is on borrowed time it may bring the death sooner.

2) All I ever run in my fuel is a conditioner such as Stanadyne or Power Service. I have never run an injecor cleaner in it. Change your fuel filter at the recommended intervals and buy fuel from a reputable station and use a fuel conditioner and be happy. 120,000 miles is jsut getting the kinks worked out of it. You should enjoy many more happy miles behind the wheel of your PSD. :sweet.

Again, welcome to the forums.

Mike

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep driving it, I had a 99 that I rodded the heck out of, traded it in and with 270,000 they gave me 10,000 trade!

I have shimmed the FPR to 70, no added fuel consumption just a smother idle. Need to get a gauge, wether a mech one on the motor or an elec one in the cab. Too high and you'll cook a fuel pump quick. 70 psi seems to be the max at idle. I will drop to 65 or so at WOT

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Some people report better mileage since the injector barrels are getting filled at the correct rate. Better atomization.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
on our 02 7.3 we ran the external reg and fuel return
mpg might have gained some , but the engine felt smoother and quieter plus had some ummph off the line.:sweet
and like was mentioned earlier the slight mpg increase was quickly offset by the new throttle response.

the big grin makes up for it:D

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
CSIPSD said:
Need to get a gauge, wether a mech one on the motor or an elec one in the cab.

I recommend an in-cab fuel pressure gauge vs one that can only be seen when the hood is up. The in-cab gauge will allow you to monitor things while going down the road. A weak fuel pump can still put out 70 psi at idle. But the pressure will drop off when pulling that trailer up the mountain. You cannot see that with an under-hood gauge. A strong fuel pump will maintain your pressure under a load.

In-cab gauges come in two types, electrical & mechanical. You need to use a pressure isolater with a mechanical type to keep fuel out of of the cab. I have one, it works great.

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the responses. i am new at this and a little lost with why you need a fuel pressure guage. tail gunner said something about pressure falling off whhil towing trailor over the mtns. i do have a camper that i haul over the cascades here in WA. is the fall off in pressure normal while hauling/towing(stock setup or otherwise) ar is that in reference to a weak fuel pump?

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got all the guages I need, short of volts and HPOP pressure:D ... Need MORE GUAGES:propeller :roflmao

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
doug young said:
i am new at this and a little lost with why you need a fuel pressure guage.

Fuel pressure drops when the pump can't keep up with the demand as TailGunner posted. My pump drank water awhile back and it can drop 10+lbs at wide open throttle in my hot program.

Also my redneck:D cowl mounted gauge showed me that my pre-pump filter was getting clogged after getting some bad bio. Truck never really ran different but the needle on the gauge was very erratic. I'm very glad I have a visible FP gauge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58