Shimming the fpr?

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been reading into this a little and had a few questions. I think i remember reading that it would have to be adjusted when you change your program/chip level. Is that true and also does it make it any harder to start when its cold?

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shimming the FPR helps to send more fuel to the #8 injector. That is comman with 7.3L being under Pressureized. I my self have not done this yet but you do need to have a gauge to monitor the pressure. I have heard that your engine runs better. Forgot what pressure they like to run at.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i remember reading that it would have to be adjusted when you change your program/chip level. Is that true and also does it make it any harder to start when its cold?

>>HAVING<< to increase the fuel pressure because of a chip/programmer.. is news to me. Bumping FP to 70 psi would >>Enhance<< a chip/programmer though, IMO.

For that matter.. 70 psi Fuel Pressure, makes a Stock 7.3 run better. Quieter too.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The 99+ SD's really like to run at 70 psi. You wont notice any difference in cold starts, or I should say it wont hinder a cold start and if you decide to go with a chip or programmer later on this too wont be affected by shimming the FPR. Its just all around a good mod to do. And its really really cheap.

I think you might have the 10K resistor mod confused with the FPR mod in regards to the chip/programmer statement.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I've been procrastinating doing it to mine. From what I gather it has no effect on a chip. All it does is insure plenty of fuel pressure at WOT. I'm anxious to see/feel the difference. Don't the OBS and SDs fuel pumps run at different pressures? :dunno

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
70 PSI that's what it is I really need to do this sooooooon. Maybe at the Rally but hopefully before that.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only 'bout 1 hour Mod guys. There's a DIY with all the How To's & Dont's:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I've been procrastinating doing it to mine. From what I gather it has no effect on a chip. All it does is insure plenty of fuel pressure at WOT. I'm anxious to see/feel the difference. Don't the OBS and SDs fuel pumps run at different pressures? :dunno

Yeah Richard, the OBS have a mechanical fuel pump still while the SD is electric. The OBS will like to run a little higher or I should say will tolerate it higher. Much over 70 psi and the SD will eat fuel pumps for lunch. The OBS will run 75-85 psi easily.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14