Help Needed shimming the fpr

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
So I got some #4 stainless washers to do the mod, and they are way to big to fit in the brass sleeve. The wiki article says that some filing may be necessary, but it looks like they would have to be ground down a lot. Any chance you could put them in the bore on the housing in front of the brass sleeve ,and not between the spring and the sleeve? Any help would be appreciated. I've got the truck tore down now awaiting some advice. Thanks:dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got some #4 stainless washers to do the mod, and they are way to big to fit in the brass sleeve. The wiki article says that some filing may be necessary, but it looks like they would have to be ground down a lot. Any chance you could put them in the bore on the housing in front of the brass sleeve ,and not between the spring and the sleeve? Any help would be appreciated. I've got the truck tore down now awaiting some advice. Thanks:dunno

The washers NEED to go in the sleeve, under the spring.. no way 'round it.

But because yer waiting to put it back together ? Yer call.. But I'd put it back together Stock.... 'Til you find the some, Or try Radio Shack.. for some [Mini] # 4 SS washers.

Not being familure with the Fastner industry, but I'm think'n there must be Mini & Standard sizes ?

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
i had the same problem and said to heck with it since i had 68 psi at idle. I'd be interested to hear the answer to this becuase the washers I had were way to big also.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
So what your saying is the washers need to be the same diameter as the spring? They would have to be the smallest washers I've ever seen!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what your saying is the washers need to be the same diameter as the spring? They would have to be the smallest washers I've ever seen!

Yes, they go in the bottom of the sleeve, the spring sets on'm, but because the washers have the holes... the orifice is unrestricted. Pressure is shimmed up.....but the fuel can still flow.

They ARE small, used for electronic stuff I'm think'n.

Yul be grin'in when you gitr dun and fire'm up.. Quieter & more responsive.

Joe

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Thnaks Big Joe, just coouldn't imagine finding washers getting much smaller than the other "#4" washers I had in hand. I try a electronics store next.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
turn them down by putting them on a screw then hold to a grinder at a 45 to the wheel so they spin on screw but slower than wheel turns makes quick work of them then smooth up edges w/sand paper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58