Shop/garage layout

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good websites for Shop/garage Layout or design, Im building a 40'x60' shop and want some ideas on the "right" way to lay it out or for interior design. Anyone want to post some pictures of their Shop to give me some good ideas?

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know any websites. I do hate you though, there is no way that I could possibly have a garage like that at my house. :D

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to an agriculture shop showing the layout for agriculture shops. You can get some great ideas as to layout and features you may want to include in your shops;
Top Shops

Dave

Last edited:

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
It all depends on what YOU are going to do with it. for example my 42 x 70 x 14 high is a mix of storage of a 37' 5er and atvs a 11*** lb 2 post lift and a 20 x 20 heated and cooled work room that has 6' wide doors and storage over the room and an area out back for cattle. sit down with a note book and draw

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The only thing I can say is make sure your door(s) is big enough to get any possible vehicle into the garage.

We built our house 18 years ago. While the garage is ok for cars, in hind sight, I wish the doors were larger than the standard 16x7 & 9x7. The last time I tried to get the truck inside, it was within an inch of hitting the top of the door opening.:eek: I also wish the garage were a few feet bigger. A long bed super cab doesn't leave a lot of room to get around it with the door closed.

But then again, I suppose a 40x60 shop would have a door big enough for a semi-truck.

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I have built or helped build rudimentary overhead cranes that are extremely useful in a shop. My brother did the engineering work/papers on them for us.

Tbar

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
the doors are 14 wide 12 high, ive got room for an additional rv "carport" in another location... I like the idea of the separate work area something smaller to heat and cool (Jester do you find that the 20 x 20 work area large enough?) Youre right i gotta sit down and start drawing. Ive had other larger shops over the years but they have never been quite right for one reason or another... mostly the lack of money.

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
T Bar can you place those overhead cranes on just a normal 4" slab or do you need thicker more rebar type footings,
the 2 post lifts do they require engineered footings or can they be mounted on a 4"slab, would a 9k lift be adequate for a 3/4 ton ford super duty

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
T Bar can you place those overhead cranes on just a normal 4" slab or do you need thicker more rebar type footings,
the 2 post lifts do they require engineered footings or can they be mounted on a 4"slab, would a 9k lift be adequate for a 3/4 ton ford super duty

I am not sure............I am not an engineer myself.

Tbar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58