Question Shopping for Satellite HDTV service

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We recently upgraded our DISH service to HDTV. We really like it.

New VIP 622 DVR, HD receiver, new oval shaped dish.

One new feature other than the HD picture we like is: The connection for the house antenna now gives me the ability to receive our local channels in HD, and simply add them to the channel line up, without having to switch from SAT to ANT.

A one time, $49.00 upgrade that was Well Worth the Money.

My .03 :dunno

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I have seriously looked at Directv HD service but their DVR models of late are buggy and have audio/video sync problems which I've witnessed at my FIL's & SIL's and have read much of the same on AVS.

To receive Directv HD you need like a 5 LNB dish(crammed) and Dish only requires a 3 LNB dish or a Dish 500 plus a 24" for the 129* bird which has substantial HD content.

Sure Dish has a few less HD channels(right now) and the equipment is leased "But" we want the more dependable receiver.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can buy Dish equipment from a dealer. I was talked out of the 3 LNB Dish in favor of the 2 Dish system. My Installer said that the 3 LNB dishes are very hard to get good reception on all LNB's at once. I like the idea of separate aiming of the HDTV LNB. That is what I have.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seriously looked at Directv HD service but their DVR models of late are buggy and have audio/video sync problems which I've witnessed at my FIL's & SIL's and have read much of the same on AVS.

To receive Directv HD you need like a 5 LNB dish(crammed) and Dish only requires a 3 LNB dish or a Dish 500 plus a 24" for the 129* bird which has substantial HD content.

Sure Dish has a few less HD channels(right now) and the equipment is leased "But" we want the more dependable receiver.

Bill...

I'm not saying DISH is the best set up but, I've been with DISH from just about the beginning of their service. We have 2 DVR receivers in the house an 1 in the RV. Real Good equipment. We've never had any of their stuff fail.

Which ever service you go with, your Long Term Satisfaction will only be as good as the initial Installers work. Bottom Line.

We've had Good Installers.. and some Not So Good ones, as we've done upgrades thru the years.

Hint: Focus (bug'm) on the Signal Strength, as they aim the dish. Don't settle for less than 75%.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
On the Dish 1000(3 lnb) model I've read the only way to get peak signal is by having it done with a spectrum analyzer and not with a swing style meter.

But I agree a second dish just for 129* is the way to go since we have the Dish 500 up already.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The installers here are not smart enough to read a spectrum analyzer, no say nothing about understanding it. It maybe easier for you as you are located in the central part of the country, but in my area they are not having good luck with the tri dish.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The installers here are not smart enough to read a spectrum analyzer, no say nothing about understanding it. It maybe easier for you as you are located in the central part of the country, but in my area they are not having good luck with the tri dish.

Dave

Same thing 'round here Dave. Don't know about a Spectrum Analyzer but the installer and I tweaked our tri-dish.. angle, azimuth and skew until we had 90+% signal strength on the HD receiver.

This installer is a local guy and took his time doing the hook up. Took a moment or two to explain a few things as we went along. Best one we've had, even stopped by a week later to see if everything was still right.

He sez the oval Tri-dish is better/best for HD, but harder to aim. The Skew is the ticket and some installers don't like to take the extra time it takes.

We're Cool with the HD picture and sound quality. It's Amazing.;tu ;tu

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I overheard that Tbar got his new HDTV set yesterday and the satellite guy is installing the system this morning:sweet

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Directv HR21 receiver?

I just got DirecTV HD with an HR21-700 HD DVR. Love it. Only downside with DirecTV is that local affiliates are not HD. But, got an OTA antenna for that.

Chose DTV over DNW b/c the HD package was cheaper and had more channels.
How has your HR21 receiver been performing since you had it installed? Any frame freezes? Audio/Video sync issues? etc?

I may be picking up Directv HD service and am looking for any owners with the HR21 or HR20 receiver with their feedback.

:TY

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine installed last late summer, (Upgraded from regular DirectTV). I have only had 1 issue a few weeks ago, it stopped showing all the HD channels. Did a hard re-boot, (unplugged for 15 minutes), and all was well. We have really enjoyed it, ESPN channel is phenominal for games and races.

Barrett

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14