Should ART Rotors warp?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
After getting my stock rotors turned 4 or 5 times in 70k miles, I had to replace them. I went with ART rotors and pads on the fronts (backs were fine) and all has been well, until recently the front brakes have been pulsating again (I'm at 97k right now). Appears its time to get them turned. Can slotted rotors get turned? And is this a problem with the rotor, or am I looking at bad calipers that are making the rotors warp prematurely?

Thanks,
Bruce

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Can slotted rotors get turned? And is this a problem with the rotor, or am I looking at bad calipers that are making the rotors warp prematurely?

Yes they can be turned. I had a nightmare with ART frozen rotors a few years back. They continually warped too. They exchanged rotors for free but the second set warped as well. After enough aggrivation I went back to OEM rotors and new OEM calipers. Problem free for years. Strange thing is that I sold them for dirt cheap because there was plenty of meat left for a few more turns. The buyer loves them and hasn't had a problem. Go figure.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Turning ART's I'm not sure of,resurfacing I'd say yes,have you contacted ART directly for that possibility?

Perhaps erlong will chime in as he might have some of the answers:sweet

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Don't turn them yet. I thought I had the same problem but they were not warped. Try this first.
Do 10, 60 mph to 10 mph stops right in a row just short of locking the brakes. They will smoke and smell but what it does is seal the rotor some how. When letting them cool, don't stop for a few miles or allow the brakes to be used or come in contact with the rotors.
I found the procedure on one of his outlets web page and I thought it was bull but it smoothed mine right out. I did not do this procedure when they were new and you probably did not either. Should have. Mine are smooth as silk once again. I'll see if I can find the link where I read this for you. I love my ARTs.
Jim

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
if you're putting enough heat into front rotors on a SD to warp them, you need to look at the rears and make sure they're carrying their share of the load...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Bedding in the brakes is always a good thing, as JimmyDee points out. I do it to all of my brakes and I have not warped a rotor in many years.

Dave

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Here it the link for the bedding procedure.
http://www.dieselmanor.com/docs/ART Installation Notes-R3.pdf
I did this some 2 years after installing them and putting several thousand miles on them. Last summer I thought my rotors were warped (really bad) but they just needed to be bedded. Its worth a try.
Jim

I actually bedded them when I installed them, just like the book said to do. But, I'll do it again if it means not pulling the brakes off in this weather. Thanks for the info, and I'll keep you posted if it worked.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno if it ever really means anything but supposedly if you do not use a torque wrench on the lugs you cause a rotor to get warped from unequal torque.

I myself have never used a torque wrench on the lugs.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Dunno if it ever really means anything but supposedly if you do not use a torque wrench on the lugs you cause a rotor to get warped from unequal torque.

I myself have never used a torque wrench on the lugs.

that is 100% correct.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58