rant should have left the wheel on!!

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing a noise the driver side front wheel the last few months. I only the drive the truck about once a week so I put it off. Finally got around to checking it out since I have time off. I took the wheel off and noticed I need brakes. Go get brake pads and come back to put them on. I don't see anything that could be making the noise that I was hearing. The wheel/unit bearing moves freely. I decide to take it off and look inside. When I pull the hub thing off...all the needle bearings, that are supposed to be in the hub, fall out onto the ground! :eek: Noisy problem found. :rant While my head is spinning taking things apart to work on the problem I removed the screw/vent that is screwed into the knuckle that the vacuum line attaches to in order to activate the ESOF hub. I know better, but was not thinking correctly at this point! Of course it will not go back in now.

My question is, how do I get this part screwed back into the knuckle? I have tried and tried. It will not even start to screw in. What thread is the hole, i.e. 1/8" NPT or something? Maybe I can rethread the hole??

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm thinking you could file a taper on the threaded portion, to make it like an NPT fitting.. it's probably got a burred thread anyway..

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow sounds like some trouble there. I would try what JL said because I didn't have that much trouble when I had to replace the hub on the front of my truck.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hole that is in the knuckle where the vent/vacuum hose attachment point goes can be worked over with a 1/8" NPT tap if you are not able to get the vent in easily. Worked for me and I was able to get the piece in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58