Should I Buy a 6.0?

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
I really want a 7.3 but as you probably know they are getting tougher to find one not used up. I can get a better loan rate on an '06-07 but I am leary because I can't afford to fix head gaskets at $5-7K. Is there any way to know if head gaskets are going to be a problem? I understand the coolant, EGR cooler, oil cooler and head gasket saga. If no matter what I do it's a roll of the dice then I can't take a chance on the 6.0. I did drive a nice '06 F350 Crew LB Lariat 4X4 with 159,900 miles today and I liked it a lot but I just don't know. I'm trying to research the problems as much as I can so I can make an informed choice. If I found one that had the gaskets redone or "bullet proofed" will that eliminate future problems? Is the EGR delete a necessity regardless? Sorry to ramble jut can't afford the worst case scenario. Any hints on what to look for would be great as well.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have owned my 6.0 since it was new. I have 130,000 miles on the truck and engine. I have not added a tuner. I don't baby the truck, it is a work truck and I haul lumber and equipment for construction sites I work on. I have never had the head gaskets blow or leak. I have not had any problem other than normal maintenance, like injectors and FICM being replaced. I do change the oil and filters every 5,000 miles.

If you find a truck that you like, take the VIN to your Ford Dealer and have them run an Oasis Report on that truck. It will show EVERYTHING Ford has done to that truck.

Dave :thumbs

DogMan66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.0 130000 miles on it too Bone stock still runs great. I have put on a few new parts like ficm with a 40hp update, new oil cooler, and a turbo. Just under 6k in repair in the last year but this is normal go wrong parts.

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on doing any mods other than intake or exhaust. Towing an RV of 18-25 feet in length is the intended use other than a daily driver. I just can't afford the cost of those nightmare repairs. I know a former Ford mechanic who said he has seen the 6.0 heads crack or they are the weak point and might be prone to crack. Has anyone heard of this before? He has his own shop and when they do head gaskets on a 6.0 they also replace the heads.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Cracked heads are not on the list of frequent problems. I am sure it happens but it is not a common problem.

Dave

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Thursday I get a text from a friend at a shop that says he might have a rig that would work for me. 2003 crew short box 4X4 Lariat auto with 166K+. Pretty good shape, dent in tailgate but still functional and maybe repairable. 6.0 with head studs done, EGR delete (plate installed), an SCT tuner (for the EGR delete I assume) and I believe a 4" lift. Has a substantial oil leak that he is going to fix. He has been going to dealer auctions to look for a truck for me and he charges $500 above the cost of the truck. He got this truck as a repo from the same credit union I'll be getting my financing through. The deal he's offering me is the truck for $5500 (plus his $500 fee) and the cost of the repairs. If the repairs are not that bad I could get a smoking deal here. I can't think of a good reason to turn this down if the price is right. I should know something by the middle of the week. If I decide I don't want it he says no problem. He would make more on it if I don't buy it. We've been looking at the auctions since June so he wanted to give me first shot at this one.

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Update on the '03. It has some metal shavings in the oil filter so what the owner of the shop did was buy a 2WD donor truck with 190K something miles in really good shape, drives great etc. and he is going to use the motor for a swap. He will use all of the EGR delete and do the head studs on the donor motor, go through the injectors, turbo, etc. and make sure everything is right. There are some other interior and exterior parts that will be swapped as well so the truck I would be buying will be ready to go. The offer to me is $12500 (books at $14600) after he's done doing all of the swaps and "bullet proofing" the donor motor. If we can work out a deal on the down payment part I think I'm going to go for it. Any reasons not to? I need to talk to him this afternoon or tomorrow. Once all of the motor has been done there shouldn't really be any issues. I'm not going to add any tunes. I don't believe the 6.0 needs it towing a travel trailer does it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
sounds good to me..
6.0's are actually a decent motor if you don't try to make stupid amounts of power

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
UPDATE: The '03 didn't work out but Friday I bought an '04 F-240 Lariat 4X4 Auto Crew Long Box 146,500 miles for $10,900. Really nice condition. Might need a MAP sensor since AFTER I drove it off the lot it has a bit of a hesitation or unresponsive throttle occasionally when starting out or slowing to make a corner and then getting back into it. Once it sorta misses a bit it gets right into it and goes like a scalded ape again. Otherwise it drives great. I'm ecstatic over it and I'm sure the hesitation isn't really serious but would like to get it taken care of. Any suggestions?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Get a good scanner. This is completely necessary if you own a 6.0. It will save you BIG BUCKS! I use an AutoEnginiuity.com on my laptop. Great tool.

Dave ;tu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58