Should I or Shouldn't I

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2003 6.0 manual tranny bone stock. My truck has been flawless (knock on wood) for 42,000 miles. Has not puked coolant, does not smoke, gets around 17 avg fuel economy, no drips, leaks etc. Outside of having to have the lower radiator hose and belts replaced along with a rear pinion seal it has never been back to the dealer. I am hearing good reports about the new flash. I am nervous. I am still running on the same flash my truck came with back in March of 2003. If it ain't broke don't fix it? or is the new flash going to improve performance and long term reliability? I have never even had the check engine light on. My big concerns are, I plan on keeping this rig until it kicks the bucket. My newest rig before this one was a 73 F100 (which I still have) so I keep them for a long time. Am I going to have to worry about the EBP valve going out on me later? Is the new flash going to make other mods easier on the computer down the road. I plan on going with a 4 in turbo back, Edge Platinum, Lift and 38s in the future, or when the wife allows it. HELP ME OUT GUYS.

Trapper

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to get a programmer and load your current program to it. Get the reflash and see what you think. If it's a turd and your truck then runs like crap, load the old (original) flash back in it, and call it done. That's the safest thing I can think of.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
You might want to get a programmer and load your current program to it. Get the reflash and see what you think. If it's a turd and your truck then runs like crap, load the old (original) flash back in it, and call it done. That's the safest thing I can think of.

Might want to be careful on that one....

The SCMT programmers will not work after the truck has been flashed; have to ship it back to Superchips to get updated. I'm not sure how all the programmers work, just be careful. Check it out ahead of time.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Mine has been called back on 3 occasions. All three times I spoke to service manager [yeah, he does know his sh and it.] and he suggested to pass on reflashes as long as all was well. Also mentioned you can return at your leisure for updates if you decide to. If it ain't broke...

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay my bad on the understanding of the Programmers ability. I was under the impression that you could load up and down programs at your command to do whatever on there. Sorry about that.

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
So, I should not. If I have problems with things in the future then yes. Will my ebp be covered under warantee or are they going to tell me that I need to get flashed if it goes bad? Once I run out of engine warantee at 100,000 will I still be able to do the recalls free or will I have to pay for it? Thanks for the help.

Trapper

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My sister-in-law has an early 2004 Excursion with a late 2003 Power Stroke.

She received the new recall notice to update the PCM by eliminating the EBP sensor and instead infer exhaust pressure. It's what, the 06E17 flash??

I told her to not get the flash done if she is happy with her fuel mileage and engine power.

Her answer of course is that she is very happy with the vehicle. She did need to have the EGR replaced under warranty for a lack of power problem last summer but that is the only major driveability problem she has ever had with this vehicle.

The vehicle has 80,000 plus miles on it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim