Shudder under hard acceleration\load

Mark Oomkes

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did some searching and couldn't find any info.

I took delivery of my '05 CC/KR/SB last Thursday. I love this truck, the ride is amazing and it is much quieter in the cab. Granted I am comparing it to a '00 Super Cab, which is still a great truck, just doesn't compare to my new one.

Anyways, I have about 120 miles on it and pulled my travel trailer (about 5K) home from the storage facility and noticed the shudder under acceleration as soon as I took off with it. I hadn't really been getting on it much before, trying to take it relatively easy on the break-in. It is only about 5 miles from storage to home and I still took it pretty easy with this few miles on it. I can hear the shudder more than feel it. It is only between about 1700 and 2200 RPM's. It is also there without the trailer, although much less noticeable.

I will get it to the dealer hopefully this week, but I want to have as many facts to show them when I bring it in. I don't want them trying this and trying that and guessing at what might be wrong. So has anyone else had this and then one thing fixed it? Is it the carrier bearing? Or are there shims needed to adjust the pinion yoke angle?

Thanks for any advice.

NFA Fun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mark, mine shudders real bad when first taking off and also in high gear. Dealer said "that is normal." Came home this weekend pulling a 14 ft boat and had a lot of grinding noise as well. Keep us posted as to what they say.

Mark Oomkes

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That's Ford's only response, isn't it? There isn't any vibration or shudder like that that is normal.

I will let you know.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Mark Oomkes said:
That's Ford's only response, isn't it? There isn't any vibration or shudder like that that is normal.

I will let you know.

just curious is truck manual or auto?

Mark Oomkes

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Auto. I just realized that it will only do this in 1st gear if that makes any difference. Even in the same RPM range in 2nd, I couldn't feel it.

Powerstroke 05

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. The dealer fixed it 3 times and I fixed it the 4th. If its like mine there is a 1/2" spacer tack welded to the carrier bearing on the drive shaft. Cut that one off and add a 1/8" spacer in place. I tried it just taking the1/2" out but you could then fill it shake just riding around. I now have a 1/4" spacer in it and you can still fill it a little loaded. I just haven't had time to put the 1/8" spacer in. Its getting bad when you buy a 50,000 truck and bring it home and hook it up and your scared to put a drink in the cup holder.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that - I thought my 03 with the rancho 9000 adjustables rode well, but my 05 Ex is EXCELLENT !!!
Even where I used to run my 03 @ 45 to 50 lbs of air, I run these at 60 to 65 and it rides betta !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg