Shuddering on deceleration

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's been a while, but I got REALLY busy for a while and now I'm back with a problem. For the last day or two, I've been feeling a shuddering/vibration through the steering wheel when I'm braking. It happens whether I'm in neutral or in gear, and it happens most strongly around 15 mph, no matter what gear I'm in. I've tried reproducing the symptoms at highter speed, but so far I havent' been able to do so. I dont' get a CEL/SES light and the truck drives like normal otherwise. I don't get the vibration on acceleration, nor does the truck pull to one side or the other. I'm guessing it's something in my brake system that's going wrong but I really hope it's a not-too-expensive fix, since I'm trying to save $$$ for a new 'puter (my Dell is still creaking along, but just barely)...

JRJ04

Reaction score
sounds like warped rotars to me. you'll hopefully be able to turn them and if not then replace them. probably need to replace the pads too

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like warped rotars to me. you'll hopefully be able to turn them and if not then replace them. probably need to replace the pads too

I thought about that, but it seems strange that I would only feel the shaking at low speeds (starts vibrating at ~18 mph and then pretty much quits at ~12mph as I slow down). If anything, it seems like the vibration should be more pronounced when I apply the brakes at higher speeds (i.e. when I saw the Highway Patrolman running radar on my way home this morning...:eek: :oops: ) but I really only feel it around 15 mph. :confused:

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only happens with the brakes, I don't know what else it could be..
The brakes should not pulsate at any speed....

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score

+1 It's gotta be the rotors, my brothers ride did nearly the same thing, only under braking and around 12 mph, never at high speeds or real slow < 8 mph. Put new rotors on, ans Voila!! no more shudder

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 It's gotta be the rotors, my brothers ride did nearly the same thing, only under braking and around 12 mph, never at high speeds or real slow < 8 mph. Put new rotors on, ans Voila!! no more shudder

Which rotors went bad--front, back, or both?

Did your brother get the rotors turned or did he buy whole new rotors? While I do have the dough to buy cryo'ed rotors, I'd rather not drop that kind of coin right now since I'm this close (holds thumb and index finger ~1/2" apart) to having enough saved for the new computer I want.

Last edited:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think the vibration might be b/c of a U-joint going out? I'm thinking maybe instead of brakes, that it's a u-joint since the vibration seems tied to driveline rotational speed vs. speed over the road and because I only feel the vibration when the throttle pedal is unloaded. I would think that if it is a u-joint going bad, when the drivetrain is "wound up" (for lack of the proper descriptive phrase) and under power, the u-joint would be ok but when there was some slack in the driveline (i.e. when I'm off the throttle) then the vibration could occur...:confused: :confused: :confused:

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
Does anyone think the vibration might be b/c of a U-joint going out? I'm thinking maybe instead of brakes, that it's a u-joint since the vibration seems tied to driveline rotational speed vs. speed over the road and because I only feel the vibration when the throttle pedal is unloaded. I would think that if it is a u-joint going bad, when the drivetrain is "wound up" (for lack of the proper descriptive phrase) and under power, the u-joint would be ok but when there was some slack in the driveline (i.e. when I'm off the throttle) then the vibration could occur...:confused: :confused: :confused:

It could be, but I would lean more towards your rotors first. They are a cheaper fix, and easier to tell. If not, the look into the u-joints. i would think you would feel it on acceleration though too:doh: . Anyhow, Good Luck!!

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a call from the shop where I took it this morning--turns out that the rotors are just a little warped (nothing big enough to justify the expense of cryo'ed/slotted rotors) and the u-joints are both OK, but the carrier bearing is shot so they're thinking that is what was causing the shaking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58