Silicone solvent?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a solvent for silicone/RTV? I tried changing my front diff fluid yesterday, but there is one hex-socket headed bolt (closest to the inboard U-bolt) that the dealer buried in whatever sealant they use and I cannot get it out. I thought about heating the head of the bolt with a torch, but that gives me the willies and I'm not sure how well penetrating lube like PB Blaster/WD-40 will work if the bolt is buried in dried sealant.

Last edited:

davison1515

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Acetone, actually is okay on paint for a little bit. Ever wonder how concrete truck drivers keep their trucks clean?....Acetone. Some idiot actually splashed concrete onto the side of my truck. After freakin out, I remembered what one truck driver told me. Came off no problem, no damage to paint. I used a q-tip to apply. Sorry to be off subject, but had to chime in about the acetone.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I messed with it a little bit today (used acetone and gasket remover goo from Autozone) but said "to hell with it" after about an hour of trying. I'd rather pay an hour's worth of labor to have a diesel shop in town do the work with me providing all the parts/supplies than strip the bolt out completely and then be REALLY up the creek.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
davison1515 said:
Acetone, actually is okay on paint for a little bit. Ever wonder how concrete truck drivers keep their trucks clean?....Acetone. Some idiot actually splashed concrete onto the side of my truck. After freakin out, I remembered what one truck driver told me. Came off no problem, no damage to paint. I used a q-tip to apply. Sorry to be off subject, but had to chime in about the acetone.

Uhm, I wash these things for a living and have never heard of using acetone. Muriatic acid is usually the chemical of choice, but I promise, I will try acetone next time...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14