Silly Question

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
I know that after replacing most suspension components, such as bushings for example, you need a fresh alignment. What I can't remember is if an alignment is necessary after replacing only the shocks.

Common sense tells me "No, an alignment is not necessary, stupid!", but it's been wrong a couple of times.

Go ahead, I'll wait for a reply until you're done laughing.

:/

Thanks guys.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'd say no, if as you say, only the shocks were replaced and the ride height hasn't changed.

Sometimes partically with a 2wd, as the suspension arms goes through their travel, the alignment may change slightly. With a 4wd, being a solid axle, there really isn't anything that can change alignment.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Nothing silly or stupid asking questions here in the community:sweet

For shocks no alignment needed,now in the case of front struts thats different but not 100% positive if alignment is required for struts.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm putting this job off for another day... Maybe the day when oh, I don't know.... THE RIGHT SHOCKS ARRIVE!?!?!?!

The (supposedly) Trained customer service monkey at Summit sent me FOUR rear Shocks. Four of them. The eff am I going to do with 2 extra shocks?

To Summit's credit, the guy I talk to and bitched at (I made sure he understood I wasn't bitching at him personally, but at the company itself - he understood) said he'd send me the two front shocks that were supposed to be send originally. We'll see how that works out.

Again, thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure an alignment was not necessary, but it never hurts to ask.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother doing an aligment for changing out bushings and such, unless you feel that somehow the linkage you changed the bushing in has changed dimensions.

I align my vehicles every 10k professionally, but most of it is really easy to do at home. The only time I'll do an alignment outside of the regular 10k is I've changed anything in the actual suspension linkage. Like changing a tie rod end, or adjusting control arms on my Jeep, or anytime the ride height changes. A lot of that depends on the steering geometry though, sometimes all you need to do is adjust your drag link to re-center the wheel when your suspension height changes, but if you have an inverted-y setup like most Jeeps do stock, your toe settings will be off when ride height changes.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Ok, Rears are done. 20 minutes with a 3 minute "Respiratory Treatment" break.

Only thing that looks weird, is the original shocks are a bit different than the new ones. The originals, the tube end was bolted to the axle. The new ones specify the tube to be bolted on the top, and the piston to be mouted to the axle.

If they are mounted incorrectly, we'll see how many miles I get out of them before they fall off.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Depending on what the actual dampening material in the shock is, some have to have a certain end up, others do not.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, you should get an alignment after checking and adding air to your front tires. It's not necessary if you're only adding airs to the rear tires, but you may want to do it just in case.

Hey! It's a silly answer to a not-so-silly question! We're allowed to joke here a little aren't we?

Am I now on the banned list????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14