SilverStar Headlight Bulbs

CPSS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The Silverstars do actually produce more light compared to stock.

Heres a test I did and reported on last year:

STOCK BULBS truck running inside shop

Battery voltage 14.39
Voltage at lamp socket 12.68
Current 1 low beam 4.5A
Light brightness at 10ft 2830 LUX

Rewired lamp thru 30A relay, fused, and 12G wire directly to battery

Battery voltage 14.39
Voltage at lamp socket 14.28
Current 4.5A
Light brightness at 10ft 3770 LUX

Next we tried SYLVANIA 9007ST Silver Star lamps

Stock wiring setup

Battery voltage 14.38
Voltage at lamp socket 12.69
Current 5.0A
Light brightness at 10ft 3100 LUX

Rewired lamp thru 30A relay,fused,and 12G wire directly to battery

Battery voltage 14.39
Voltage at lamp socket 14.30
Current 5.0A
Light brightness at 10ft 4580 LUX

So I think you all can see, the higher output of the Silverstar replacement lamps (or any other lamp upgrade for that matter) will really not be noticed untill you improve the wiring. There is a voltage drop on the stock wiring of almost 2 volts at the lamp socket. Any of the aftermarket relay/harness kits would work, or you can make your own for under $10.00.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Great test.. Looks like I need to upgrade my harness before next fall. We are down to about 2 hours of dark and before long it will be light 24/7 but the extra 1480 LUX would be handy next winter:)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I as doing a little research on just what relays and fuse holders I wanted to use when I found a KYO Plug-N-Play Heavy Duty Wire Harness Upgrade Kit (Model 9007)for only $19.95 on ebay. I imagine a guy could get all the parts for less than $20 but time is money so I thought I would give it a try. I will report back when I get it and let you all know if it is a cheapo or a good product..

CPSS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Headlight Harness This is a real heavy duty harness designed specifically for out trucks. Be carefull of the cheap stuff on E-Bay. You don't want your headlights crapping out hundreds of miles from home. :eek:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Both of them have 40amp relays but we will see about the rest of it when it gets here. For $20 I thought it was worth a look and I will at least end up with the needed plugs and relays without running all over town to find them. If the wiring doesn't look heavy enough I will redo it. The one at Black Cloud is $49 and for that it would be worth driving around town rounding up all the parts for much less.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14