Skipping

FordFarming7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I noticed the other day while pulling a 30ft. gooseneck trailer with about a 7,000lb tractor on up a pretty good grade my truck began to skip. Im calling it a skip but dont really know what it was doing?? Just sporatically would miss a few times then run fine. No check engine light is on but i have noticed my fuel mileage is down around 13.3 just cruising around and im an easy driver. When i first got it it was around 16.8-17.6. Sometimes when i drive it, it seems sluggish, other times it seems pretty peppy?? Its just been serviced and the egr valve and the icp sensor replaced. Any ideas?? 03 f2504x4 ccsb lifted with 35" tires.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The EGR valve can get clogged and cause skipping. But it should not if fairly new. towing is good for this engine, it gets it hot and clears out carbon in the exhaust (EGR Valve). Keep an eye on it. What year is your truck?

Dave :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You should be good on the EGR if you don't baby the truck. Get on it every time you get onto a freeway. Drive it like you stole it. :D

Dave :)

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Over the summer I was chasing injector codes and a "skip" condition on my truck. Truck went in to the dealer three times over the course of two months for 4 weeks total. My skip was occurring at 2000 RPM and it felt like a miss at idle and low on power. Long story short, the check valves in the High Pressure Oil Lines feeding the oil rails in each cylinder head were replaced and the problem went away. The technician checked the truck top to bottom for electronic issues, ran all sorts of tests, replaced injectors and it wasn't until he moved the injectors (to see if injector codes followed the injectors) and installed new oil check valves (so he didn't have to go back in just to change them) that the problem disappeared. The problem on my truck was very repeatable.

Not sure if your skip is the same thing my truck was doing but wanted to pass along my experience to give you something to consider. Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg