Slightly unstable at speed

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm still having an issue with my front end and hope someone has the "magic" answer I've been searching for...

Replaced nearly everything in the front: tie rods, ball joints, sway bar bushings, track bar bushings, stabilizer; I also cleaned and lubed both sets of caliper pins. Tires check out fine. Only things remaining are spring bushings and shocks. I also adjusted the steering box.

Though much tighter, the truck will still wonder on occasion; towing makes it much worse. Otherwise, everything is tight and responsive. What's left?

dave5.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Me too. My 1 ton work van does the same thing. I was just looking at steering stabilizers. Looks like you have one. Maybe I'll wait.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
you can tighten up the steering box

Steering box was tightened too much and actually made the situation worse; I backed it off 1/8 turn and much improved road manners ensued. Still, something is causing the wander; maybe another engineering flaw Ford refuses to acknowledge?

Me too. My 1 ton work van does the same thing. I was just looking at steering stabilizers. Looks like you have one. Maybe I'll wait.

I have a single Pro Comp replacement unit. It helped some but not like I expected. For $30, it was worth replacing as a matter of course.

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
What's the alignment like? If you have little to no caster the truck will wander all over. Also, you never mentioned wheel bearings on this latest post, have you checked them for endplay, it's a common problem. Also, I assume that you don't have one or both hubs locked in with bad axle u-joints? Another common problem. Tie rod ends tight? Just more food for thought.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58