Slop in 2" receiver.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I seem to remember that there is a fix for the slop in a 2" trailer hitch receiver but I don't remember what it is. I just built a hitch set-up with mud flaps to protect my boat but the slop in the receiver lets the flaps rock a little. When the trailer is hooked up there seems to be enough tongue weight to hold it still but if I ever go for a drive without removing the hitch when I unhook the trailer the flaps are going to wiggle around. Anyone know of a easy way to tighten it up?

The flap system I built is like the RoadWing system.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
crum
yep there is a bracket type thing shaped like a big "C" that has two holes for the hitch pin and bottom bolt that cranks up on teh drawbar to take out the slack
try west marine or e-trailer parts, usa trailer,

I have also used thin pieces of nylon sheeet stock as shims

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I just now read through some of the various travel trailer forums and it seems as though some guys recommend Duct Tape. Considering a little saying I have in my signature that has been there for a week or so all I can say is "why didn't I think of that"... duh

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
anti wobble

duct tape would work to but its not as professional looking :roflmao :roflmao

your also not in bama, so it may be considered tacky in your neck of the woods :roflmao

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Well that would work too but who is going to see the Duct Tape? They say you just take a few rounds on the shaft of the ball mount and slide it in. Tape would be inside out of sight and out of mind :D

Step 1: try duct tape.

Step 2: if duct tape does not fix it then buy the anti wobble

Thanks for the link :sweet

User Name

aka Acetcruiser
Reaction score
I drilled a hole in the side of the receiver and welded a nut there then take a bolt with a nut on it run the bolt in tight and then tighen the nut up to the other (welded on) nut

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
That would work but I like to remove the ball mount when I drop the trailer most of the time especially now that I have a big set of ugly rock flaps on it. It is nice to just pull a pin - no tools required.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I seem to remember that there is a fix for the slop in a 2" trailer hitch receiver but I don't remember what it is. I just built a hitch set-up with mud flaps to protect my boat but the slop in the receiver lets the flaps rock a little. When the trailer is hooked up there seems to be enough tongue weight to hold it still but if I ever go for a drive without removing the hitch when I unhook the trailer the flaps are going to wiggle around. Anyone know of a easy way to tighten it up?

The flap system I built is like the RoadWing system.
My brother has one of these on his GMC. We welded a few small beads inside then ground it down until it fit tight. Just a thought.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
F350DRW1 said:
We welded a few small beads inside then ground it down until it fit tight. Just a thought.
That might be a little more permanent than Duct Tape. Good idea..

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I used an old bicycle inner tuber cut it into several 2" x 3" pieces. Then insert it underneath and one on top of the hitch between the hitch and receiver to take out the slop. It makes my hitch and trailer very quite and eliminated the knocking and clunking.:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14