Sloppy Shifter

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I suck at doing searches, because both here and on another forum I cannot find any similiar topics to my problem.

The gear selector lever for my auto tranny (transmission was replaced a little less than 80K miles ago) is real sloppy. There is a wide range of movement in the lever when I am in the various gears.

The truck runs fine with no problems. The actual trans is not slipping or not going into gear, it's just the selector thats sloppy. It's sometimes difficult to tell if I'm in reverse, neutral or drive until I take my foot off of the brake and let the truck start rolling. It almost feels like what ever detent should stop the lever over the PRND21 is not there. This problem just manifested itself overnight without warning.

I have been told elsewhere that it's the two torx screws that are into a clamp under the dash up by the steering column are loose, but they are tight. I've also had something mentioned to me about an aluminum tube, but I'm not seeing what is being talked about.

Thoughts?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Double checked the hardware on the side of the transmission to assure it's all tight with no play?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i had a similar problem on an older truck, it ended up being a simple bushing that had fallen out and allowed for too much slop. the bushing in my case was on the rod that goes from the column (in front of the firewall) to the under body linkage.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double checked the hardware on the side of the transmission to assure it's all tight with no play?

It appears fine with just the slightest of play where the two plastic pieces mate. I can't see how I would make the connection any tighter.

I also cannot see where any bushings are missing.

I guess I'll try and run it by my mechanic next week :dunno

Stroked383

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have seen this problem on a few trucks including mine. Take the cover off the bottom of the dash that says fuze panel. then wiggle the shifter you have to look up at it with your head like on the floor mat and you should see where the shifter linkage connects at a point there is two torqux (spelling) looks like a star headed bolts. That is what i have seen back out on alot of then including mine. Just tighten them up and you should be in buisness.

Alex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58