Slow to start

casper4203

casper
Reaction score
Just got my 6.0 back from putting a EGR delete kit and oil cooler kit in. When I took it in I new it was cranking a lot longer than normal on a cold start. The mechanic check the codes and voltage on the glow plugs. He said it may be a leak on the fuel rail under the valve covers.
I'm out of money right now but is that a hard thing to fix myself?

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your batteries good? Mine had a slower start after my deletes ect, but my batteries were shot. New batteries now and she fires up really fast.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This is the time of the year where weak batteries show their ugly heads. Get them load tested, individually. If one is bad, replace BOTH batteries.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your batteries good? Mine had a slower start after my deletes ect, but my batteries were shot. New batteries now and she fires up really fast.

This is the time of the year where weak batteries show their ugly heads. Get them load tested, individually. If one is bad, replace BOTH batteries.

Dave

X3. two new Batterys and..... a new GPR too. Yer money might be tight but with Winter come'n on.. it'd be the best couple'a hundred bucks you could try and muster up to spend.

:dunno

Joe

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just hooking up to the truck will not tell you if the batteries are good. If the batteries only read 12V, they are on their way out. Should be 12.8V. He can't load test the batteries without disconnecting them. Autozone or an autoparts store should be able to load test them for you. Just make sure they are disconnected.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
We go through this every year. Many won't check their batteries or check them wrong and suppose the problem is else where. Battery problems are number ONE on the Winter list of problems by a LARGE margin. It is your truck, do you want to drive it? (Not meant to be mean.)

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the mechanic have seen something on that when he hooked up the computer?

Not necessarily.. if the Batts had a good Surface Charge, from a recent run time, with a good alternator... a Scanner [might not] pick up on any Low Voltage/Amp issues, severe enough to show on the scanner. (or set a code)

Joe

On edit: what majek & dave said too ? This topic IS seasonal.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58