Slow to start

Nixon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Lately the Psd has seemed to take a bit more to start . It's not like I'm having to grind on the starter,or anything . But it does seem to take a while before it fires ,as opposed to a few months ago . Any ideas ?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Mine seems to be doing the slow start, but I think it is me and not the truck. It fires right off in the morning.

Dave

99RedTA

spoolin up
Reaction score
mine's the same way. Sometimes it fires right up, other times it turns over a couple of times before firing.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine and computer need to find home... that's what the crank position sensor and cam position sensors do. It might have to turn over 2 complete revolutions for the computer to find TDC on #1 cylinder. Then from there it keeps count. It just depends on where it shuts off.

This would seem odd, but maybe you have a sensor going bad? Since they read magnetics, hall effect for the electronic guys, it's pretty much a pass fail kinda thing. It should either work or not.

It might be possible that you have an injector that's not making as good a pattern that it did before, and when cold it might not want to pick up as fast. does it do it only cold, only hot, both, or no rhyme or reason to it?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is a fact that the 6.0 engines take longer cranking to start than the 7.3 engines. I don't know the exact reason, but they do. You will get used to it over a little time.

Dave

scotty7751

Big Daddy
Reaction score
yeah on the 6.slows that we use at work i have cranked on one for like 15 secs like holy crappy starts batman!! Brand new trucks!!

Last edited:

kingjay

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Nixon said:
Lately the Psd has seemed to take a bit more to start . It's not like I'm having to grind on the starter,or anything . But it does seem to take a while before it fires ,as opposed to a few months ago . Any ideas ?
Are you useing fords fuel additive?? If so do not use it and see what happens. I stopped useing it and have had no problems. Had troubles with mine when i started using it.

NHKR

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If what you are describing is: Before, it would consistently crank for 2 seconds before starting and now it cranks for 3-4 seconds before starting, then yes, mine did the same thing and it can be indicative of a problem. There is now a PSB out on this exact symptom and it indicates you are getting air into the fuel system.

In my case, the lift pump was also slightly noisier than normal. I should have had it checked when I noticed it but I blew it off. 1 week later while towing an 8K trailer through NY state, the truck stopped running and left me stranded on the highway. Ford first replaced the lift pump, which got the truck running, but it still ran rough and was getting air into the system. They discovered there are pressed in cups in the heads under the injectors that were allowing combustion compression air to bleed into the fuel system. They replaced the cups and all of the injectors at the same time. Runs perfectly now and starts fast like before. They think getting this air into the system may have caused the lift pump to fail prematurely, or it may have just been a coincidence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14