Slow to take off?

drames

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK... this is my first diesel. When I was test driving it at the dealer I never really stepped on it from a dead stop... I was already moving before I stepped on it and felt the turbo kick in. After I bought it and brought it home I finally stepped on it at a stop sign and thought I was going to get broadsided!! The delay from when I stepped on it to when the turbo spun up and I took off was about 2 to 3 seconds. Is this normal? First thing I thought was the first turbo wasn't working?

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The delay is often referred to as turbo lag, its very normal for turbo engines to feel sometimes sluggish until enough exhaust flow is generated to then generate enough turbine speed to build boost quickly. Now other factors such as a cold engine, high humidity, regen, as well as others too can contribute to a sluggish feel occasionally. The only time my truck has felt the same way was when it was heavy fog and high humidity. Otherwise I'd say there really is no big lag, but I'm used to driving diesels also. If you feel that this is an issue, then have the dealer try to replicate it and trouble shoot.

drames

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll just have to get used to it. Maybe I'll go test drive another one at the dealer and see if it performs the same way.

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gears?

My wifes 08 feels the same compared to my (slightly upgraded) 7.3

I believe the seat of the pants feel in hers is influenced by the 3:55 gears. Not sure I would do that again......Maybe the same for you???

Other than that, I like her alot......when I get to drive it! :sweet

Mike

drames

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yep... it's the 3.55's. Still I think it's more a turbo issue then the gears. I had 4.56's in my '99 I just traded :doh: I guess I just believed a little too much of the salesman's hype about the twin turbo's. They told me the first one kicked in a low speed/rpm to get you going quicker and the second kicked in at higher speeds to keep you going.

wilson111

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They told me the first one kicked in a low speed/rpm to get you going quicker and the second kicked in at higher speeds to keep you going.

yeah, i am still waiting for the first one to kick in!!!:lmao thinking about the gear swap :sweet

2ndPowerstroke

Ford Driver
Reaction score
yep--my 08 hesitates at the light/stop sign/driveway/whatever if you hammer down the go pedal---if you roll into it not much lag.
Went for a ride in my buddy`s 08 with full spartan kit-dpf delete--cat delete--intake plus the 210hp tune --------Hang the F-on ---I was very impressed.
Now how do I tell the war department(wife) that I`m going spend the money?? plus I`m still gun shy on the whole warranty -not detectable stuff---I`m going to see how it goes for awhile with my buddy`s truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58