Sluggish shifting & Turbo lag

Jim up north

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2004 F350 2nd edition , what possible solutions for turbo lag, and also tranny seems to shift rough I am assuming between 2nd to 3rd. I am asking these questions for I am nearing the end of the 160,000 km warrenty. I will be going soon for a final check on the truck. A not so sure question ? Are the turbos on some sort of bearings . This past winter odd sound from the turbo.
The same sort of sound I would get from motors on the ventilation systems here where I work, ie : bearings. Also what real difference will a 4 inch exhaust have on the truck with a deletion of the cat or is it actually just a resonator , the large part just before the muffler . For on the downpipe from the turbo I have a larger section wrapped in a foil with metal banding . Does anyone have a picture of the catalytic converter.

Thanks Folks Jim

RipperF350

RipperF350
Reaction score
4 inch exaust will lower your EGT and deffinatly sound good. As for the turbo lag only way to help that is to chip it or get a tunner

Jim up north

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Suggestions for programmers

There are lot of you with SCT , some with edge , so suggestions
" will this open old wounds "
Jim

SiFlyBy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Excessive turbo lag could be caused by the VGT vanes sticking.

Describe the trans issue in more detail.

rudeduck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the turbo torn apart and cleaned a couple weeks ago on my 07 when it had 185000 miles on it and what a difference that made. I knew that the turbo lag was getting worse but after it was cleaned the lag was almost gone, the power was back and my fuel milage went up.

I wish I would have done it sooner.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I had the turbo torn apart and cleaned a couple weeks ago on my 07 when it had 185000 miles on it and what a difference that made. I knew that the turbo lag was getting worse but after it was cleaned the lag was almost gone, the power was back and my fuel milage went up.

Holy moley, 185,000 miles? On an 07'? Was this a typo? My rebuilt turbo from the factory is starting to act up with only around 30k.miles on it. I know my 03' turbo is different and louder and perhaps they changed design from the 03' because of this "Sticking" issue that I've experienced twice now.

rudeduck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Nope not a typo its up to 193500 now. According to the tech that cleaned it he said that the turbo was the newest design on the 6.0. The truck had a hick up but I think we have the problem solved. I cut an O-Ring on the EGR when I was putting a new one in and it was just small enough to cause a problem but not throw a code till now. So far knock on wood that is the only issue I have had with it.

I actually purchased the truck in Feb. of 07.

Last edited:

StrokinHarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score

where did u get it cleaned at? dealer? price?

rudeduck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Ive been out of town. A Tech at the Ford dealer I go to lives near me and he did it. The dealer wanted 5 hours of shop time ($70 an hour) and 50 bucks for parts. This guy did it in one evening and it cost me $150. I figure It will pay for itself in a couple months the way I drive. 198750 miles now, should hit 200000 by the end of the month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14