small clunking sound in front suspension

arcticjames

arcticjames
Reaction score
i have a 2003 7.3l f-350 shortbox crew,and i'm noticing small clunking sounds in front suspension when i go over bumps.i've checked all my universals,drive shafts and axles,shocks are new.i have air bag helpers on the front leafs.is this possibly coming from the front axles floating in the axle tubes ?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would guess that you are hearing the ball joints. They get loose as the miles get put on. Jack up one of the front wheels and see if you can move it up and down (using a crow bar). If so you need new ball joints.

Dave

springerpop

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The front anti-sway bar's strut bushings are famous for going bad and rattling. Get a performance polyeurathane replacement kit and never do them again.

Another thing that will cause a rattle are worn brake caliper pins. Ford has upgraded the pins to a slightly newer kind, and the kits are cheap. See:
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/cu.html

Pop

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same deal here....ball joints, bushings, all suspension parts are good. I have an occasional "clunk" under the driver floorboard usually on braking from highway speeds; doesn't get transmitted through steering, brakes, etc. I read somewhere about cab mounts causing it so I've decided to call it that until some other problem surfaces.

true91799

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had a similiar problem and a small crack had developed in the frame rail and it was "rubbing" (like grinding teeth) although it produced a pop or clunk sound. Cleaned up the crack and welded and all has been fine since. You could only see the crack if the wheels were cranked to the far left, otherwise the steering control arms, stabilizers, etc. would hide it. That was just my scenario.:dunno

Norcal250

Gimp member
Reaction score
Your track bar may be loose... I had the same problem in my 03... tightened the track bar and no more annoying clunk...

You might not be able to move the track bar by hand to duplicate the noise, so just put a wrench on it... I believe its a 21mm or 23mm...

hope this helps...

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...mine has been doing the exact same thing. '03 250 7.3 crew short box.

I notice mine when I initially crank the wheel all the way to lock and I feel the clunk (and hear it) under my feet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim