smaller mirrors vs bigger ones

JRJ04

Reaction score
I love the tow mirrors with the turn signals built in. Could I put them on even though my truck doesnt have the plug in for it? Would I have to splice the wires in to make them work?

Yes, you'd have to splice the wires, I've done it and it worked well and was worth it.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Here is the truck I'm looking at. 02 86k miles, manual tranny. 7.3. Small mirrors (darn), Looks pretty basic as in no power seats, no power peddles, Maybe chipped at one time? Notice the switch to the left of the steering wheel and a spot where a switch used to be to the right of the wheel. Looks like it has pillar gauges or atleast spots for them. Any thing look out of place or aftermarket under the hood?

I think they're asking $20K, it would be over $22 I'm sure after taxes and all that.

Thoughts?

Yep, i would agree its potential that its been chipped at one time. Only way to know would be to pull the PCM and check the board to see if the silicone has been removed and if a chip has been on there.

Under the hood...a few things:

1. The decorative "powerstroke" cover has been removed because you can see the fuel bowl. No biggie there, its just for looks.

2. To the left of the fuel bowl, there appears to be some sort of black cylinder looking thing. any idea what that is?

3. Couldn't see the air intake, was it the stock looking box?

4. Looks like a part of the intake has been replaced (cant think of what the part is called)...but its the part between the turbo and the air intake hose that is bolted to the turbo...thats an aftermarket piece...for all i know...that could be a bigger turbo.

5. The hub...no its not small, its the stock one, but looks small because of the aftermarket wheels on there.

Finally, the price. I'd offer them 18k out the door because its not a lariat, theres not a lot of bells and whistles, crappy drop in bed liner, and looks like a shady sort of home made exhaust. My feeling is, if they want top dollar for it, it better be in tip top shape. Not to say that its not, but in my opinion, not worth 22k.:dunno

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Nice truck. Seems a lil high in price but those 7.3s are rare to have low miles. Looks like a nice one. Agreed that its just a bare bone truck, no bells and whistles. Last truck you'd ever buy!

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, if you guys can provide more on what maybe not stock under the hood that would be great. I agree its a high price but it seems like if you have a 7.3 under 100k mi. and around $20k it will sell, maybe the manual tranny will deter people away from this one.

I live over 5 hours away from the truck and just recieved pictures tonight in email so its not easy to go and look at/test drive.

Are the f350 emblems missing or are they chrome? Cloth dash cover...the auto check thing says it was in elpaso, tx till '08. Do fords dash pads crack from heat and sun light? possible the dash cover is covering up flaws?

Maybe the switch thats missing to the right of the steering wheel was to run the lights in the rear bumper.

Looked at the pics again, any idea what the wire is comming out of the hanger thing below the radio and going into the glove box? What is directly above the radio?

How do you get the 2 little fog lights to come on?

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
Are the f350 emblems missing or are they chrome?

looks like they were probably dipped in acetone. very common.

Cloth dash cover...the auto check thing says it was in elpaso, tx till '08. Do fords dash pads crack from heat and sun light? possible the dash cover is covering up flaws?

yes, its possible, however i have not heard of dashes being prone to cracking. mine has spent its entire life in houston and never had issues to date.

Maybe the switch thats missing to the right of the steering wheel was to run the lights in the rear bumper.

could be. those could also be backup iights that come on when you put it in reverse.

Looked at the pics again, any idea what the wire is comming out of the hanger thing below the radio and going into the glove box?

looks like it could be a wire for a usb or ipod hookup?

What is directly above the radio?

blank space. very common when you put an aftermarket radio in these trucks, it just doesnt take up all the space

How do you get the 2 little fog lights to come on?

if you are talking about the 2 in the front bumper...the switch for the lights just pulls out and they come on.

something else i noticed...looks like the alternator has been replaced.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wire coming out of the dash may be a Coax for a CB radio. The truck has had one heck of a detail job done on it, so you don't know what that may be coving up.
It is a real clean truck and sounds like a low mileage truck. Good Luck

Doug

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dealer says its an aftermarket turbo. Not sure at this point if thats a good or bad thing, sorta wish it was stock being as it has low miles. Here is some info from the oasis report.

4-08 perform recall 07s57 and replaced sensor added dielectric grease

4-08 oil leek onto ground- verified concern. inspected and found the turbo PED leaking. RR turbo ped cleaned, rechecked. ok

11-09 perform recall 09s09 inspected found not leaking, installed jumper harness.

9-10 check engine light on over the counter service partn

9-10 cust states vehicle runs rough at idle SPW RO 919303 09 09 10 85634 miles verified concern has codes p1293 p1273 1271 1272 1275 verified all wiring good installed new IDM cleared codes verified repair

Any ideas what the turbo ped is?

What about all those codes on 9-10?

Whats a new IDM?

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
truck was chipped and beat hard, torn turbo boot multiple holes in dash from mutltiple aftermarket crud. low milage, but youll be fixing what this guy screwed up so bad he couldent fix, after that youll have a base model truck for at least 7 years to come even thoe the first beaten 86K miles are more like 186K.

for that price id pass, but its hard to not find a diesel truck that hasent been moded after this "diesel chipping" craze. so if your handy with the wrench and have money after buying the truck to start fixing what he screwed up.... your call.

I found my 7.3 5 years old with 40K on it for $20K fully optioned BONE STOCK. dont let dealers push you around, there is better trucks out there for less.

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
irace was right. Got there and there were dents that the pictures didn't show, cracked windsheild, took it for a test drive and it pulled to the left, even after an alignment, got back and after about 3 mintues being parked engine not running there was a puddle of oil or fuel under truck about 4 inches in diameter and still dripping.

All of this is somthing a dealer could have told me over the phone...volunteer some info to me, but I guess they figured if I'd drive 5 hours to look at it I'd put up with the flaws and buy it. Not the case, its still there. Search contintues.

Really liked the manual 6 speed. I used to want a lariat, but am starting to think the more stuff I can do manualy the less there is to break, and if somthing does hopfully easier to fix.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14