smaller turbo housing with stage 1 injectors?

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
would i get any benefit from a smaller housing now that i have stage 1's? i want this thing to spool almost instantly, but i also don't want to lose max boost pressure.

Do y'all think my turbo will spool faster when i get my DP-Tuner???? Right now if i step on it, it will take about 2 seconds then spools like a mad house, but peaks at 28 psi. i want to get at least 30 psi from it which i'm sure i can do with the DP-Tuner.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
with the chipper it will definatly get up to speed quicker. i think you will find mixed opinions on the turbo housing with injectors.

i have 1's, and plan on doing the 1.0 housing. i use the truck more for work than for drag racing, so the smaller housing would suit me better and get me more power where i really need it. it may choke the truck and create higher egt's when i get a hot chip on the "good lord" setting, but thats what guages are for. this is all just my opinion of course.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Id recommend the investment in the chip VS. a smaller turbo housing. My Stg I's would make 36-38 psi through the 1.15 A/R housing and a good chip. The larger housing will also keep your EGT's more manageable in the event you are towing as well.

IH97stroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just installed my beans diesel stage 2's, and with my stock turbo housing my egts are out of control! I also have the edge evolution programmer and i run it on level one to keep the egt's and fuel consumtion to a minimum. but i have a ts 6 position i need re-programmed to see what that does for everything i have. if you are going to be hot rodding around and drag racing, that stock turbo should spool fast enough, or you can just brake boost it to race it, you'll have all the boost you want then. i was just kind of wondering if anybody has an idea what sort of max boost an old 7.3l can handle regularely before she wants to self destruct?? what kind of levels we talking? 38lbs? 40lbs?? cause i hit that with the stock turbo, and then i definately let off. i heard the turbo will want to destroy itself at around 35lbs? anybody?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
i was just kind of wondering if anybody has an idea what sort of max boost an old 7.3l can handle regularely before she wants to self destruct?? what kind of levels we talking? 38lbs? 40lbs?? cause i hit that with the stock turbo, and then i definately let off. i heard the turbo will want to destroy itself at around 35lbs? anybody?

With your Stage II's you will probably need to go with an intercooler if you want to keep your foot in the throttle. The 7.3 can handle all knds of boost but your turbo cannot. Excessive and extended runs above 25 psi will smoke the thrust plate.

treyloco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a stock 7.3 w/ head studs will handle about 45psi. Before you loose your head gaskets. But, it is recommended that once you go over 30-35 psi. you want to install studs.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i will not be getting a turbo housing since the downpipe and chip will spool the stocker up a lot faster.

How long is too long to run our stock turbos at 28psi??? cuz i have held mine at 28psi for about 5 seconds and let off since the EGT's were about to hit 1200*.

IH97stroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my computer has been down for sooo long! sorry guys it took me so long to write back!!! but yeah, with my stage 2's the thing rips! i overboost way too quick! and the egts sky rocket! so i cant really even stay on it ever!!! she gets up and goes pretty good, but im scared to keep going! i checked the turbo when we installed them, and she was still mint....but now, im sure it'll be going quick...it sounds pretty well pissed off at me whenever i stay on it, so i dont ever stay on it anymore... my truck has gotten to the point that i need to park it, and tear the engine down to be able to handle the power im throwing at it. cause i know it needs head studs, and some fire ringed gaskets, cause you can tell she has a minor minor head gasket leak :( and i dont want to ruin it!!! and i have an 01 powerstroke intercooler to throw on it, and a stage one water methanol kit, i think that those two mods should keep it cool enogh to try and tow something again.... cause i know i cant tow our mud truck anymore. i could put my boot on the pedal to drive, and that would be enough pressure to get the egts to hit 1300 no problem! then my tranny got too hot, then went into failsafe mode and kept it out of over drive!! :(!!! its fun as heck to drive, but ive slowly made it pointless to drive on the street everyday :(! what kind of turbo should i look into getting now??!!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58