smoke switch?

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Is there a way to do a smoke switch on an OBS if so how and has anybody done and how well does it work? Thanks

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I dont' think so... its a VGT turbo thing that allows this to happen... they did't have them on the 7.3s new or old

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I see. There is a way to do it because I did it on a peterbilt that had a cat motor in it I uses a resistor and made it so the computer thought it had 22 psi of boost at idle and it smoke good but who knows maybe there is no way on the 7.3

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
likely is you can fool the MAP sensor into seeing boost however I can't say that I've seen it done. You'll need to do some checking on the wiring and see what voltages are returned to the PCM based on what boost level, and what wire needs to be tapped into and then you could do it.

However you also run the risk of simply getting a CEL and the computer running default fueling maps.

[soapbox] You are not likely to find a great deal of help on how exactly to make your truck smoke for no reason. The diesel community as a whole is beginning to frown on smoke for a number of reasons 1) bad public image 2) which leads to emissions testing & tougher standards for new trucks 3) waste of fuel 4) smoke = unburned fuel = high egt & high risk of engine damage [/soapbox]

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MAP sensors on our trucks are variable frequency units vice variable resistance units so a simple resistor won't do it. Years ago folks played with a couple of circuits for a MAP simulator, but you would need to search on TDS for them. Cheers!

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
[soapbox] You are not likely to find a great deal of help on how exactly to make your truck smoke for no reason. The diesel community as a whole is beginning to frown on smoke for a number of reasons 1) bad public image 2) which leads to emissions testing & tougher standards for new trucks 3) waste of fuel 4) smoke = unburned fuel = high egt & high risk of engine damage [/soapbox]

x2... i took mine out awhile back.. never really used it... it can't be good for the turbo either

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
yeah a buddy of mine was wanting one done on his obs I dont have one anymore but I think he will just have to do without. thanks for the information

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
tap into the converter lockup wire for the tranny if its automatic.make it so he can turn the lockup on at 5 mph and just put the peddle down.:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14