Question Smoke when I first start up?

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed recently that when my truck is left outside overnight when I start it up it blows what looks like smoke but dissipates faster like steam would. When I leave in garage overnight it doesn't smoke. I noticed when left outside the days were very humid. After I drive down the road it is gone and doesn't come back???? Any ideas?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The smoke you are seeing is water vapor. It collects in the intake/cylinders and is turned to steam when the engine is started. Once the engine is hot, no more water vapor.

Dave :)

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1....I see this more often in the winter. I park outside all the time and usually see a black smoke puff on startup.

Tman123

That One Guy
Reaction score
Can't white smoke be fuel that is un-burnt i.e. in the winter time when you don't plug in your truck?

Travis

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got home yesterday from a 6 hour ride back from VT towing my boat. No high temps no overheating. When I stopped the truck at home for approx. 5 minutes and then restarted I got a puff of smoke that had a hint of antifreeze in it. Could I be having a problem with my EGR with some blow by or a bigger issue?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Could be the EGR Cooler or Head Gaskets. Take it in to Ford and have them "sniff" the coolant for combustion gases. This will tell you which one it is, if any.

Dave :)

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I did pull the EGR valve and found a little moisture down inside. So I guess the next question is EGR delete or bulletproof EGR? More money!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58