smoke when started

06 DSG SUPERDUTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
when i start the truck in the morning or after it sits for a couple of hours it smokes a lot of blue for about 10 sec. then has a grey smoke after it. why is this , the head gaskets were replaced at 7000 mi now have 10000 and it still smokes is this normal.
p.s. the coolent overflow was pouring antifreez and that is why the h/g were replaced along with an egr cooler

06 DSG SUPERDUTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i know about the diffrence in smoke colors but im wondering if this in normal this truck is my first diesel

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
this WAS and now again IS my concern. i had the head gaskets, glow plugs, turbo and lots of other goodies done about 10k ago. i am afraid something is amuss again.

as dave said: keep an eye on the coolant, probably should have it checked for exhaust gases...

good luck to yah

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t noticed any smoke yet but when went to do my ccv mod there was coolant all over the reservoir. Is this a sign that the EGR valve is going bad or is bad, or a bad head gasket? I am only sitting on 22500 miles.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a bit of white smoke on a cold morning until the engine warms up and it seems to be normal. The coolant level isn't going down at all it just spits out while smoke for a bit. I don't feel good about it but there aren't any other signs that anything is wrong.

ciscofreak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I also am getting the blue to white smoke issue when first started in the morning. I just had the turbo replaced but it didn't stop the smoke.

I'm going to continue to drive it until something happens..

atk

Reaction score
also getting the blue/white smoke at cold start up. it started when temps
got cooler...also get a good puff of black smoke if i blip the throttle when the engine is cold....i am still getting decent fuel mileage and it is running great....:dunno ....( but i am looking into it for a sollution)

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Diesels can smoke on start up, especially if its COLD outside

Funny how some of us want more smoke, and some of us want less :D

Just watch your fluids like you normally do and you'll be fine :sweet

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Bluish white smoke that smells of fuel is UNBURNED fuel. Very common on cold days. You should see a Cat that's had the screw turned up on a cold day.

Black smoke is PARTIALLY burned fuel.

Blue smoke that smells like burned oil is burned oil.

White smoke is coolant/water vapor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58