Smokes like an Old Jimmy at satart up

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Smokes like an Old Jimmy at start up

Ever since I put in the HX cross over hose My truck has been smoking really bad at the AM start once it warms up it is fine. I first thought it was coincidence and changed the glow plugs ( no fix) then I replaced the Glow plug solinoid ( no fix). I now have a miss that is only noticeable around 1200 to 1800 rpm, this may be related to the smoking problem. Now I am also having an oil consumption issue probably 1 to 2 gallons between changes depending on how hard I run it. I haven't got the money to chase this around too much these days and I am leaning to the injectors. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
any check engine light or codes?

what kind of shape are your batteries in? you have to have both of them fully charged to heat the glowplugs. Have each of them load tested individually and ensure they are at 100%

as far as the oil consumption goes...are you seeing it leak out anywhere? Few places you might check: HPOP o-rings on the top of the pump (there are 4 of them), 2 main HPOP lines that go from the pump to each head. Those hoses and their fittings are notorious for leaking over time. Finally, turbo pedistal...see if you have any oil around there. That has a tendency to start leaking around the o-rings.

If none of the above is happening, I would agree on some sort of injector issue. Might be something as simple as the o-rings needing to be replaced. I think an o-ring kit goes for around $100. You could have an o-ring thats not doing its job and letting oil get by, which would cause oil consumption and throwing the firing off ...and that might be why its missing.

Give it a look over and let us know!

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting with o-rings is a start. Is the thing hard to start? i.e. When you first go out of the morning and crank it does the oil pressure hand more or does it fire up and then die and take some time to crank it back to start? You could have a worn injector or 3 or 4 that is bleeding down overnight and letting oil get into the cylinders. How many miles is on the injectors, if over 200k then it might be time (especially if you pull loads with it) to look into replacing them. If you are changing the oil every 3k then your oil consumption is maybe about 1 qt/325 miles? I have had the same problem, got motor rebuilt, not fixed, supposedly got injectors rebuilt, not fixed, 6 sets of o-rings not fixed, my oil consumption is 1qt/135miles, that sucks, having a time getting my mechanic to get new injectors (my cousin, who builds big truck engines), and I miss my truck.....

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The smoke is white and thick with the smell of unburnt diesel if I let it idle it clears up in 5 min but I can barly see the house by that point. There are no lights or indicators, my evolution doesn't read any codes. I am not seeing any oil spots in the driveway, I will have to look at the vally to see if there is a build up of oil in it. I will have the batteries load tested. Cranking time doesn't seem to be any longer than before ( less than 4 seconds) but it does lope at start up every once in a while mostly when the temperature is cooler or it hasent been started for a few days.

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No oil in the Vally either but I did find an exhaust leak in my up pipe. Look at signature picture to see smoke.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
maybe coincidence that when you finished all this work it also got really cold out? cause mine smokes like that when in the single digits outside with no wind.

but i know im down a few glow plugs. you plug it in at night?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg