smoky starting

cobbler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi all. The temps in northwest IA have now been in the teens in the mornings and I am having some very rough smoky startups like my glow plugs are not working. I am not hearing any relays click nor the lights get a bit brighter when the wait to start light goes out like I did on my 6.5 chevy. Is this normal? or don't the relays draw very much power.
Also my ebpv is driving my crazy constanly turning on while driving around town. Is this also normal?:confused:

Late 99 f250

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Check the glow plugs and the relay. A bad relay is fairly common and will certainly make for a rough start. If your EBPV is acting that way I would suspect a bad EBPV sensor and or a restricted or plugged tube to the sensor.

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
nor the lights get a bit brighter when the wait to start light goes out like I did on my 6.5 chevy. Is this normal?

Even though your WTS light goes out, your glow plugs are still being energized, length of time being determined on ambient air temps. Have timed mine up to 90 seconds, even though light went out after 10 seconds.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
what they said..
faulty relays are common, and the glowplugs themselves may be faulty..
A good way to check them is take a jumper cable and go from the battery to the glow plug side of the relay for 10 seconds, then start it.
If it starts better/cleaner, then the likely cause is a relay.
If not, looks like you're replacing some glowplugs.

And put a relay in it anyway.

cobbler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My relay is working, I checked it with a voltmeter yesterday and it definately stays on longer than the light like you said, but still the rough starting this morning. Is there a way to test the glow plugs?
Also was wondering about the EBPV sensor/tube where to look?
Thanks for your responce:)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
You can ohm out the glow plugs with your DVOM. Good plugs will have about .2 ohms resistance, bad ones will either be open or over 1.0 ohms. EBPV sensor tube comes off the bottom of the right (pass side) exhaust manifold and runs up to the front of the engine to the sensor. Its a common place to get soot pluggage.

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
And try to test with the valve cover on firtst. Unplug the harness, and test the outer 4 pins in the connector. If you have an open or a short.... then you can pull the VC.

MattM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I too have experienced some rough idling during start up recently with a puff of white smoke from exhaust pipe.

Where exactly is the relay located that you mention below? Official name?

Thanks

Check the glow plugs and the relay. A bad relay is fairly common and will certainly make for a rough start. If your EBPV is acting that way I would suspect a bad EBPV sensor and or a restricted or plugged tube to the sensor.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have experienced some rough idling during start up recently with a puff of white smoke from exhaust pipe.

Where exactly is the relay located that you mention below? Official name?

Thanks

It is officially the Glow Plug Relay and is located on top of the engine between the valve covers very close to the base of the driver's valve cover about 1/3 the way back. It looks like a fender mounted starter solenoid.

MattM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks!

It is officially the Glow Plug Relay and is located on top of the engine between the valve covers very close to the base of the driver's valve cover about 1/3 the way back. It looks like a fender mounted starter solenoid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14