smoky starting

cobbler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I got my staring thing fixed, and now for the backpressure valve constantly on and off. I took my tube off to clean and was completely plugged AND cracked. I replaced the tube and took out for a drive and no different. The valve is on at low throttle for about 15 minutes of driving and is driving my crazy!! Is my sensor bad?

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You can ohm out the glow plugs with your DVOM. Good plugs will have about .2 ohms resistance, bad ones will either be open or over 1.0 ohms. EBPV sensor tube comes off the bottom of the right (pass side) exhaust manifold and runs up to the front of the engine to the sensor. Its a common place to get soot plug

No offense but, a ohm test is very unreliable on a circuit that requires volts/amps to pass. The smallest circuit you can imagine can pass an ohm test but will not be able to carry the current needed to power anything, particularly something as demanding as glowplugs. An easy test is to get a 12v test light, unplug the harness connectors at the valve cover gaskets, connect the test light to B+ post on the battery then 1 at a time touch the test light to each exposed terminal in the valve cover gasket corresponding to the glow plugs ( the smaller of them if i remember correctly). If the test light illuminates the glow plug is good, no light= bad glow plug.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14