So I am thinking of trading in my 08 for an 02

powerwasher

08 SD 6.4L Diesel
Reaction score
Well my mileage sucks and diesel is at 4.29 a gallon. I was thinking of trading my 08 6.4 for a 02 7.3. So I can run bio diesel and just get overall better mileage. My father has a 2000 7.3 with a mbrp turboback exhaust and a volant air intake and he is getting 20mpgs on the highway. So I think this is a good idea. can someone with an 02 7.3 tell me about there relaibilty, I heard they have head problems? but i really dont know. any help would be great. thanks

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 02 with 210,000 miles. Not a single problem with the engine but I have been through a couple transmissions. For the last 120K miles I've been running with an afe cold air intake, turbo-back exhaust, chip, and just recently installed a wicked wheel. Cheers! P.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Well my mileage sucks and diesel is at 4.29 a gallon. I was thinking of trading my 08 6.4 for a 02 7.3. So I can run bio diesel and just get overall better mileage. My father has a 2000 7.3 with a mbrp turboback exhaust and a volant air intake and he is getting 20mpgs on the highway. So I think this is a good idea. can someone with an 02 7.3 tell me about there relaibilty, I heard they have head problems? but i really dont know. any help would be great. thanks

There are some after market programming that has been done to dramatically help the 6.4 with both performance and fuel mileage increase

To me that would be the best road to take instead of possibly loosing a ton of money on your new(used) truck.

powerwasher

08 SD 6.4L Diesel
Reaction score
I know that. My main problem is I want to run bio-diesel. As far as I know you cant run more than b5 in the 6.4, and i know the 7.3 is reliable on b80 and up

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Nope, I know nothing about the 6.4's or running bio.

Seems like a saw a recent report that the 6.4 doesn't like any form of bio.

But I could be wrong.

They are having issues with the DPF clogging on straight diesel; B20 will kill it. B5 is ok, says Ford, but not according to the owners.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think there was a post on here before but can't find it now about a member that ran b20 in his 6.4 and blew the motor and ford would not back him because it voided the warranty when he put in b20. So don't do it.

I have 01 7.3 with 150,000 and not one problem well I have developed and leak which I think it is time to change the exhause gaskets all around. That is my only problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58