So whats up with my transmission?

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Bought my 04 last year with 80,000 KM. Ever since I bought it ive noticed one shift has been slow, 3rd to 4th. No clunking, lurching, rpm increases or banging noises, just a little bit of a slow shift, almost like its slipping a bit. I plowed with the truck a really heavy winter last year and im now at 150,000 KM. Still the exact same slow shift. More noticeable when shifting or really trompin on it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Flush the trans.

+1

i JUST told a friend with a gasser to do it when he complained about a funny shift, he did it and it cleared right up and went back to normal. ford trannies are great, but damn are they rough on the fluid. flush it out and see how it is, its the cheapest and easiest place to start.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
FYI it should shift 3-5 unless temp is under 5 degrees farenhait.:)

Mine is definatly shifting in to 4th. I am going to do the flush asap, but I noticed something else which is a bit odd. When speeding up, some times just after it shifts in to 5th gear, it goes back down in to 4th (reving high) and then quickly back in to 5th. Any explinations on this? Ive only seen it do it 2-4 times lately.

Cheers
Jeff

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
that may be something as silly as a software update from the dealer, but im not by any means a guru for that tranny so im not sure. sometimes adaptive automatics can get testy, but its mainly because us humans are inconsistent and confuse the poor science box. i do it to mine at least once a week :D

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its actually 1, 2, 3, Torque conv, 4, 5. Your truck will shift 6 times. This is how my 04 was. Anyway, Ive heard of this and a flush will fix it.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
So I guess the weird shifting is from the Torque convert to 4th gear. Done it about a half dozen times now, usually when towing a load, other then once or twice. This is a different issue from my OP, which is from 3rd to torque conv. Maybe Im just confusing the tranny some how.

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14