So who can i take this truck to...........

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
get it fixed?? Its been to 4 different dealerships 7 times in 3 states and still runs for crap. To many miles on it to do to a buyback and i tried to trade it 2X but they only offered 26K for it!! Hell it books for 32K + all my add-ons!! I am just at the end of my rope here and wish the damn thing would burn to the ground or something. When Reuters News Service interviewed me 2 years ago i was willing to give ford the benefit of the doubt but now i don't know what to say. I am really afraid my wife is going to get killed in this thing as bad as the lag is sometimes and she drives it to work every day...... Where can i go with this?? :dunno :dunno

Anyone wanna buy it for 30K?? :dunno

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
mjstef said:
tried to trade it 2X but they only offered 26K for it!! Hell it books for 32K + all my add-ons!!
You might try trading it in again. Ford just started the "family price for everyone" program. With the lower prices they are offering you might be able to trade it in and come out OK. You will not however get anything for your "add-ons". Anything you add to a rig is not worth a dime when it comes time to trade it in. The only way you can get anything for extras is by selling to a private party but even then extras are not worth 1/4 of the purchase price. They will give you 26k for it and sell it for the 32k that it books for(6k profit for them)so that they make a buck. If they gave you 32k and sold it for 32k they would not stay in business long.

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
I am not sure we understand the issues you are having. I see the attempts to fix but I don't think we know why?

Is surging / stalling part of it? I ask because you mentioned your wife's safety. Obiviously a major concern.

Have you ever unplugged the EGR Valve (in closed position) to see if you get better results?

Has the FICM wiring harness ever been addressed?

Are you loosing coolant? If so under what conditions?

Have the dealers you've been to investigative, or are they just throwing parts at it?

Finally, do you live in FL and if so what city? Maybe we can locate a dealer who has a history of figuring the problematic ones out.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Such is the dilemma of buying new vehicle (unless you already know this)

ALL lose most of their value as soon as they are driven off the lot...

Most of us get used to the lag of a turbo charged vehicle - it IS the nature of all turbocharged vehicles to have SOME lag to the HIGH power a turbo charger can deliver....

and you are moving a near 7K lb vehicle - so it takes some power:)

Our 03 has some lag and we noticed it more when we drive gas vehicles in that they react TOO fast in our mind :)

yet with the proper technique, my 4 wheel drive 8K lb excursion can out accelerate MOST vehicles for 60 feet :)
NEVER saw a gap in traffic we couldn't fit into in time and have to slow down because we are running up on the slower ones ahead :)

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
The biggest problem is the lag it has. You can't hardly cross an intersection safely. I have had 5 - 7.3's and even the non turbo ones had more balls than this 6.0 has off the line. Once it is on the highway above 1800 RPM the truck is fine!! There has been a few times where i had to drop the trans case into 4 low to pull my 5er up an exit ramp when i was stopped on it due to traffic. Coolant leak has been address by replacing the EGR cooler and the EGR valve has been replaced 2X Runs the same plugged in or unplugged. The pisser is it's all in programming!!! A while back i put a 1 way valve in the map sensor line to hold boost. Went out and wound it up to 26# of boost and stopped. When i took off again i could smoke the tires!!!(smoke out the tailpipe too) But after about 10 minutes of playing with this the truck started to run like crap so i reset the computer and left it alone. This goes to show the 6.0 is capable of low end power but since the government don't want em to smoke they are held back!! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
I have heard of this issue with the 6 speed before but, I can't remeber where or what the resolution was. I will look around.

The low power is both loaded and empty? Probably significantly worse when loaded / towing?

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
VIZARD said:
I have heard of this issue with the 6 speed before but, I can't remeber where or what the resolution was. I will look around.

The low power is both loaded and empty? Probably significantly worse when loaded / towing?

Bad when empty but almost undrivable loaded. Even empty you have to take off in low gear. Every 7.3 i have had you could take off in 1st.....

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
Here's some unrelated info just in case you need it sometime:

Discontinued Dual Mass Flywheel:
2003-2004 trucks built before 12-1-03 with the 6.0 engine and 6 speed transmission and equipped with a dual mass flywheel, the flywheel is no longer available. If the flywheel needs replacement, use the single mass flywheel and clutch assembly for later models. Broadcast Message 4476.

Low power suggestions:

Your EGR Valve has been replaced twice. EGR valves stuck in the open position can cause the the VGT actuator to fail as well. This can cause lower power issues.

Oil overfill can cause low power issues as well. Even if you are only adding 13.5 quarts (recommend BTW) @ oil change you could have fuel leaching into your oil causing you to "make oil". Overfill conditions create foaming which cause a # of issues including low power at any run condition.

Might need to have your BARO and ICP sensors checked as well.

All of these are unrelated to the 6 speed but could have a bearing.

It could very well be that your VGT actuator is not functioning properly until you reach 1800+ RPM.

Everything I have read about the 6 speed is positive with the possible exception of one or two incidents. Slight turbo lag in first to second but none as severe as you describe.

Could be the six speed is just coincidental to the issues at hand.

I'll keep knocking it around a bit. Haven't yet found what I was looking for.

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
VIZARD said:
Here's some unrelated info just in case you need it sometime:

Discontinued Dual Mass Flywheel:
2003-2004 trucks built before 12-1-03 with the 6.0 engine and 6 speed transmission and equipped with a dual mass flywheel, the flywheel is no longer available. If the flywheel needs replacement, use the single mass flywheel and clutch assembly for later models. Broadcast Message 4476.

Low power suggestions:

Your EGR Valve has been replaced twice. EGR valves stuck in the open position can cause the the VGT actuator to fail as well. This can cause lower power issues.

I have had the egr plugged in and unplugged. It doesn't seem to make a difference. They couldn't get any codes out of it last time i had it in for anything.

Oil overfill can cause low power issues as well. Even if you are only adding 13.5 quarts (recommend BTW) @ oil change you could have fuel leaching into your oil causing you to "make oil". Overfill conditions create foaming which cause a # of issues including low power at any run condition.

I currently have 15W40 in it. I had 5W30 since it was new and it ran a bit better with it. Can't find 5W30 Diesel oil here in Montana

Might need to have your BARO and ICP sensors checked as well.

All of these are unrelated to the 6 speed but could have a bearing.

It could very well be that your VGT actuator is not functioning properly until you reach 1800+ RPM.

I start getting boost at around 900 rpm, 5# by 1500 and 10# by 1800

Everything I have read about the 6 speed is positive with the possible exception of one or two incidents. Slight turbo lag in first to second but none as severe as you describe.

It is worse here in the mountains than it was in Florida but it basically crawls till it gets boost. Every 6 speed i have ever drove with a 6.0 has been similiar. My 7.3 company truck will smoke the tires! An auto shifts to much for my liking when i am towing.

Could be the six speed is just coincidental to the issues at hand.

I'll keep knocking it around a bit. Haven't yet found what I was looking for.

Thanks for digging. My service manager out here would like to figure it out too. I spoke with Mark Wildman from International/powerstroke design team last year and he said it was Ford specific. The 6.0's in the internationals haul butt!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58